The Cypriot resort of Paphos is the business for Mediterranean holidaymakers wanting a little ancient history, a few lively tavernas and a lot of tan-tastic sunshine on Blue Flag beaches. The cooking is delicious, so it makes sense – particularly if you’ve got young ones in tow – to book an all-inclusive hotel in Paphos. That way the bills are taken care of before you slurp your first slice of moussaka. We’ve rounded up the best for your money.
Centred on a sparkling blue-hued freshwater pool, joined by a children’s paddling pool, this family-friendly apartment complex is a singularly relaxing resort, 250m (820ft) from Paphos fishing harbour. It’s handy, too, for Greek and Roman ruins: notably St Paul’s Pillar and the Paphos Mosaics. Light-filled kitchen-fitted apartments and studios with balconies make laid-back meals a cinch, enjoyed at your own pace. But we like the gently Greek-taverna feel to the ladderback chairs and checked tablecloths of the restaurant come dinnertime, sipping wine around the pool.
It’s all about the luxury of space at this sprawling resort; facilities, too, what with five themed swimming pools including the Mayan Temple water slides. It’s an oasis of relaxation as much as entertainment: the 270 rooms have either a tranquil private terrace or a balcony, to be enjoyed while wrapped in a bathrobe and slippers after an invigorating rainfall shower. If you’re here with tots, upgrade to a Family Junior Suite with sliding doors between parents and children – handy with five in tow. Young ones and adults will love the many restaurants: especially the burgers, fries, milkshakes at the ’50s US-themed Rock ‘n’ Roll Diner.
No “I’m bored, Mum” complaints here. The (seasonal) waterpark alone, laced with colourful waterslides, drives kids wild with excitement. The lake-like swimming pool is a striking centre of attraction, and there’s a lazy river as well as an indoor pool to switch to, should young ones fancy a change of scene. Rooms, as is the norm this far south in the Med, are reverie-inducing, bathed in white, borrowing from the Cypriot sky and sea with turquoise accents. Mealtimes bring appetising global menus, from Italian to Greek to Mexican, so enjoy pasta primavera, a Greek salad or a burrito. With so much on your plate, it might be hard to step out, but do take time to visit the nearby site of Tombs of the Kings.
A five-minute walk from a long stretch of beach – Med-lapped, blended sand and shingle – the blank white walls of Kissos Hotel await. Inside it’s all pared-back, relaxing rooms with tiled floors and fuss-free wooden furniture. So far, so simple – but you’ll wow over the outside pools, with a lagoon-like stretch of water that winds between the apartment blocks. (There’s also an indoor pool for low-season guests). You’re spoilt for choice, food-wise: fresh, local produce goes into the Greek-style barbecue grills and classic kleftiko, rich with juicy lamb. If you need to walk it off, you can make for the pretty harbour, a good 40 minutes away.
Here’s a serene stay: dreamy-creamy rooms bathed in light; cool stone-tiled floors and rustic wicker touches; Your view is of immaculate, almost tropical-looking gardens backed by the inky-blue sea (or you may have mountain vistas). You’re a few hundred metres from the beach, but this feels like a secret corner of Paphos, 4km (2.5mi) from the old town. You might cocoon yourself in the spa for a luxurious wrap, and you must dine al fresco at Akamas Terrace: it’s French fine-dining with a mouthwatering selection of local meze.
Now this is what you call a location: across from the Tombs of the Kings necropolis, north of Paphos harbour. You’ve no excuse for not taking in the cultural magic as well as the sun while staying at this relaxed hotel with its indolence-inducing spa, sauna and hot tub. Lagoon-like outdoor pools, lined with palm trees, will do their darnedest to keep you from stepping out – they’ve even got kids’ areas and waterfalls. Bright rooms help max that tan with their balconies; some of them have pool views, while the higher echelons look out across the blue Mediterranean. If heat blunts your appetite, you’ll like the food here, too, featuring refreshing salads, sweets and seasonal fruits.
Beach- and pool-lovers alike will fall for this four-star resort with its soaring new-age lobby. Immersed in palmy gardens, with distinctively shaped swimming pools, it has a fabulous setting, nudging a Blue-Flag stretch of sand. Paphos is a 20-minute walk along a scenic path, past bars and cafes that’ll serve a reviving beer or coffee en route. Back at the ranch, interiors are sleek and contemporary; rooms continue the relaxed, airy vibe with balconies for sea or inland views. And for dinner? How about handmade burgers, fresh salads and sides, washed down with refreshing homemade lemonade?
Looking for more hotels in gorgeous Paphos? Check out our guide to the best Paphos hotels for every traveller, and book today with Culture Trip. Or, if you’re looking outside the city, discover the best hotels in the whole of Cyprus, or even the best all-inclusive stays across the island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.