Travellers visit the coastal city of Split not only to see the still-standing Diocletian’s Palace, but also to experience the beauty of the Adriatic Sea and the culture of Croatia. You can stay in a range of unique accommodations. We’ve rounded up the very best hotels in Split – bookable on Culture Trip
Best known for its historical architecture, Split also has a distinct contemporary charm. Briig Boutique Hotel, located minutes from the Old Town, encapsulates this modern aesthetic. The sea-facing hotel delivers contemporary interior decor, comfortable amenities and expansive windows overlooking the pristine blue water of the Adriatic. The rooftop terrace and pool give guests a privileged view of the Croatian coast and islands.
Situated within the grounds of Diocletian’s Palace, this family-run hotel in Split in both the central square – known as the Peristyle – and Saint Domnius Cathedral. Rooms come in wonderfully calming neutral colours with floor-to-ceiling drapes and views of the nearby ancient buildings. Plenty of character and a whole lot of history can be seen in the original stone walls. These historic features are balanced by modern furnishings, such as LED TVs and minibars.
Perfect for longer stays or groups, each of these rental apartments offers a home-from-home experience with a kitchenette. Varying in size, each has its own distinctive charm, from studios with exposed stone walls and industrial-chic furnishings, to a three-bedroom villa with a private hot tub. Scattered within the central pedestrian area of the city, each sits within a traditional stone building.
Housed in a 16th-century building, once the home of a patrician, the Palace Judita Heritage Hotel overlooks the busy People’s Square, which is full of restaurants and stores in a haphazard yet charming mix of architectural styles. Back at the hotel, an enclosed courtyard with seating provides a spot of respite. In the rooms, you’ll find Egyptian-cotton bed linen, rustic stone walls and elegant parquet flooring.
In operation since 1921, Hotel Park Split is a five-star luxury hotel just steps from the Adriatic coastline. The style of the hotel is inspired by its natural surroundings, bringing the brilliant turquoises and calm greys of the sea inside. A terrace with a pool, high-end restaurant and lounge area plus staggering views of the sea are the crowning glories.
Grgur Ninski Rooms offers guests bright, clean accommodation right in the heart of the pedestrianised centre – the moment you step out the front door, you’re immersed in the history and charm of the Old Town. Inside the hotel, minimalist room furnishings, which favour natural wood tones and whites, provide a relaxing atmosphere.
The upscale decor at Hote Luxe is not limited to its common areas: each room in this four-star hotel has sumptuous features, such as crushed velvet accents and bold printed rugs. Some rooms even feature a window-enclosed bathtub. Guests are also welcome to indulge at the in-house wellness centre, which comprises a fitness room, sauna and mood-lit whirlpool.
Those seeking a quieter spot away from the busy historic centre will find it here. The holiday apartments in Split are self-catered and feature fully equipped kitchens. Guests also enjoy a shared garden with outdoor pool and terrace, with glimpses of the Adriatic beyond the tropical greenery. Families or groups of up to eight guests are welcome.
Still looking for a place to stay? Book one of the most characterful boutique hotels in Split now, via Culture Trip. For a unique stay, check out our guide on where to stay in Split, Croatia, for a local experience, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.