If you’re looking for the best cup of kava in Zagreb, the Croatian capital has no shortage of excellent cafés and coffee shops.
Coffee culture has long been an important part of life in Zagreb, which boasts a diverse selection of cafés and coffee shops. Discover the best cafés in the Croatian capital, from trendy third-wave venues to cosy bars where both coffee and cocktails are on the menu.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With several locations around Zagreb, Leggiero Bar has become synonymous with top-quality coffee and fantastic service. Whether you’re searching for a cosy getaway from the stress of everyday life with a coffee or a cool setting for afternoon meetings, Leggiero Bar hits the spot. A combination of feel-good vibes and a trendy industrial interior adorned with colourful patterns, luscious greenery and outdoor seating give customers the sense of taking a brief vacation in the middle of the day – which, according to CEO Matija Goreta, was the main goal. Beyond the excellent Lavazza coffee, the quality of the extensive selection of drinks and premium desserts is impressive. Freshly squeezed juices, healthy smoothies and a wide range of teas complement the menu of sandwiches, salads and delicious cakes made by local pâtisserie Torterie Macaron.
Located on the border of the vivid Ilica Street and the soothing tranquility of the Tuškanac Forest, Velvet is a hidden treat. Each corner of the café is decorated differently, exuding a unique feel. Thanks to their virtual library with more than a hundred thousand titles in several world languages, Velvet proudly bears the title of the first café in the world to become a Free Reading Zone. Besides serving a good espresso, Velvet serves delicious pies and tasty snacks that come both in savoury and sweet variants, presented as works of art.
Situated in the heart of Martićeva Street, Mr Fogg is the first Croatian steampunk coffee shop, named after the protagonist of Jules Verne’s Around the World in 80 Days. Spread over two floors, the café combines Victorian elements and imaginative installations. From antique cabinets, dusty atlases and maps to crystal chandeliers, submarine monitors and wooden details, the decor defines the whole atmosphere. According to the owner Emil Tocauer, Mr Fogg is a “dreamland”, a place where people can take a break from everyday life by tasting different flavours of teas, gins and rums from all over the globe. When night falls, Mr Fogg transforms into a vibrant bar – the music gets louder, and coffee makes way for cocktails.
For all lovers of nature and art, Botaničar is the place to be. Located in the immediate vicinity of the Botanical Garden, this charming café-gallery is a popular spot for cultural evenings, literary events and exhibitions. A combination of wooden tables and retro furnishings creates a warm atmosphere, heightened by the abundance of plants. In addition to good coffee, an impressive range of quality teas, tasty liqueurs, local wines and delicious juices are available. A must-try is the ‘black elixir’ – a natural lemonade with ginger, enriched with activated charcoal and elderberry syrup.
Tucked away in a residential area of New Zagreb, Cotton makes a perfect second home. Inspired by the Prohibition era, the industrial-style interior – packed with vintage touches – has large leather Chesterfield sofas, huge industrial lamps and Slavonian oak wall panels. Beyond coffee, this chic urban café is a perfect place to sample Hvar22, the first Croatian craft gin. While weekdays provide a soundtrack of jazz, blues, swing and rock, weekends are reserved for live performances by local bands and piano gigs.
After The Guardian proclaimed Finjak as the place with the most beautiful interior in Zagreb, this classy coffee shop has become the most Instagrammable place on the Croatian café scene. Only 30 square metres (323 sq ft) in size, Finjak exudes luxury and refinement. Visually rich, the space combines many different styles – from Rococo to Baroque and Secession – as well as furniture and tiles that once belonged to Zagreb’s grand Esplanade Hotel. With its magical atmosphere and timeless details, Finjak is the ideal place for enjoying a superb collection of French teas, sought-after beers and premium lemonades, all the while exploring a Zagreb of times past.
Following the example of many global cities, Zagreb now has its very own cat café, where all the feline residents are cats rescued from the streets. Located near Maksimir Park, this delightful coffee shop is marked by the owners’ love for animals, a warm atmosphere and an extensive hot drinks selection. The cat theme is all encompassing: try an Es-paw-sso or a Frappe Caticorn. The large selection of board games on offer makes it even easier to while away the hours here.
Just a few tram stops from the main square, Bonk is both a vibrant café and a bike shop. Situated next to the charming Sunday flea market on the Britanski trg, this cool coffee shop and popular brunch spot attracts a bohemian crowd and is popular among students. Indulgent pancakes, healthy fruit bowls and a full English breakfast all feature on the extensive menu, in addition to a diverse drinks selection: from craft beers and colourful cocktails to speciality coffees and various teas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.