Fancy discovering ancient Roman palaces, medieval Venetian castles and sampling the best of Croatian wine, olives and seafood? Head to the Dalmatian Coast. The journey overland and sea from Split to Dubrovnik is the classic way to explore Croatia’s sun-drenched coastline, as you island-hop between Hvar, Korcula and Vis across the Adriatic Sea. Travel independently using ferries and boat transfers or experience it all, and more, on Culture Trip’s eight-day long Jewels of the Adriatic group tour. Read on to discover what to do in Split and Dubrovnik, and how to get between these destinations by boat.
What to do in Split
The ancient port of Split is traced back to millennia, but much of the old city that you see standing today was built by the Romans. One Roman in particular shaped Split’s history is Emperor Diocletian, whose palace is a major attraction to visit today. Stroll through the ruins of Diocletian’s palatial mansion, before re-energising with a glass of wine at one of the many alfresco bars and restaurants overlooking the harbour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
However, if you’re feeling active, opt for an afternoon hike to the top of Marjan Hill. This is Split’s most impressive viewpoint, and you’ll have uninterrupted panoramas of the city and out to the islands in the Adriatic Sea. Stay a while and spend days visiting local beaches, exploring the hidden alleys of the old town and absorbing the nightlife.
What to do in Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik’s well-preserved Old Town is one of the best examples of medieval Venetian architecture in Europe – and you’ll instantly recognise the prominent walls, gatehouses and red-roofed townhouses from Game of Thrones. Stroll along the walls to immerse yourself in the historic architecture, and head up to Srd Hill for the very best views of the city. You can hike to the top, or save time and cruise to the summit in four minutes via cable car.
The Old Town is packed with sights, including Rector’s Palace, Lovrijenac Fortress and the Franciscan Monastery. After ticking these off, swim and sunbathe around Dubrovnik’s Old Town harbour or head to the many beaches that line the cliffs on the Lapad Peninsula. Across from the harbour, a day trip to Lokrum Island is one of the best things to do in Dubrovnik. Here, you’ll not only find more Game of Thrones filming locations but numerous nature reserves and medieval ruins.
Getting to Dubrovnik by boat from Split
You can join Culture Trip’s eight-day tour along the Dalmatian Coast for an experiential journey between Split and Dubrovnik. With a bit of planning, you could also try and use the local transport to get around.
In peak season, there are direct boat transfers from Split to Dubrovnik. These are fast catamarans that only take foot passengers. The slower route is overland and sea using public ferries and buses. First, catch the ferry to Hvar, then take another ferry to Korcula, before hopping on a third ferry to the mainland, where you can pick up a bus for the final leg of the journey to Dubrovnik.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.