With a flux of international visitors, Dubrovnik’s nightlife has grown increasingly diverse: from live music hotspots to clubs set inside former barracks. Filip Sulic of local Culture Club Revelin shares his top tips for exploring nightlife in the Pearl of the Adriatic.
An ancient walled city rising majestically from the sea, Dubrovnik is one of Croatia’s greatest assets. Filip Sulic, booking agent at Culture Club Revelin, an atmospheric nightclub set in a 500-year-old fortress, believes the city punches well above its weight when it comes to nightlife.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Culture Club Revelin is the place to go when last orders are called in the city’s bars. After opening in 2011, the club was voted one of DJ Mag’s top 50 in the world in 2019, thanks to its unbeatable location – set in a 16th-century barrel-vaulted fortress on the eastern side of Dubrovnik’s Old Town, replete with light shows and a globe-spanning roster of DJs.
“The list of past acts is huge,” says Sulic. “We’ve booked everyone from Carl Cox to Dixon, Fatboy Slim, Idris Elba and Paul Van Dyk.” And the atmosphere? “There is only one word to describe it – amazing,” he exclaims. “Dancing inside an old fortress with a state-of-the-art sound and light system with incredible DJs and even more amazing people.”
Dubrovnik’s nightlife is very seasonal, suggests Sulic. Expect regional live acts in the winter, with nightclubs heating up in spring.
This is the place for after-hours partying. A 16th-century rave cave with mesmerising light shows, cage dancers and fire-breathers, Revelin teems with late-night fun. The line-up is the strongest you’ll find in the area, according to Sulic. “Nothing comes close to what’s going on in Revelin.”
“One of my favourites is Lazareti, also located inside the city walls,” says Sulic. A less-polished but equally atmospheric experience, Lazareti is set in ex-quarantine barracks, and offers an ad-hoc programme of live music and clubbing events, catering to a more local crowd. Be sure to check the club’s website and Facebook page to see what’s going on.
“My second favourite place is the beautiful Coral Beach Bar, a great day and night venue,” says Sulic. More of a daytime beach hangout, near the family-friendly Copacabana on the Babin Kuk peninsula, Coral Beach Bar also holds late-night parties and special DJ events.
“One more club worth mentioning is Sky,” Sulic says. Tucked behind the spiral stairs at the exit from the Old Town, this is a hedonistic little spot with loud EDM blaring and an affordable drinks list. Popular with backpackers and local club-goers, it’s one of the cheapest clubs in Dubrovnik – once you’ve paid the 40 Croatian kuna (£4.50) entrance fee.
According to Sulic, winter is the time to catch live Croatian acts. But there’s a clutch of bars that offers stellar jazz and acoustic music year-round. Top of the pile is the Troubadour, run by the British couple who established the legendary London club that shares its name. Here, a troupe of jazz musicians host late-night jams on the intimate terrace to an appreciative, cocktail-sipping crowd.
“I have one particular bar that I love to visit when I get the time. It’s called Casablanca, and it’s one of Dubrovnik’s most unique places. With an old-school interior decked out in wooden panelling, it’s a place where you can enjoy some amazing cocktails and people watching,” says Sulic, who recommends this bar as the perfect warm-up location. By day, Casablanca is a relaxed bar to enjoy a drink away from the midday heat. By night, it’s a headier, party-orientated experience with a reliable selection of craft beers, spirits and wine to match.
A trip to Dubrovnik wouldn’t be complete without visiting one of its two cliff bars. Situated on the rocks below the walls of the Old Town, they offer panoramic views and a stunning setting to enjoy a swim and a sundowner. Buža – meaning ‘hole in the wall’ can get very popular – especially during sunset – so make a beeline once you’ve walked the city walls.
The more laissez-faire of the two open-air bars on the rocks, you can dive into Bard’s moonlit waters until midnight, and enjoy unparalleled views of Lokrum island and the Adriatic Sea. Find the entrance to this hidden bar opposite the terrace of the Konoba Ekvinocijo restaurant – look out for ‘8-20 Topless Nudist’ painted on the wall to find the stone steps. Bard also screens films in summer.
A lovely little wine bar located on Stradun, D’vino is one of Dubrovnik’s more authentic finds. The friendly staff are quick to offer up informed suggestions, and much of the wine on your table comes from the nearby island of Korčula and the Pelješac Peninsula. With over a hundred domestic wines to sample, this is a great place to start the night, paired with platters of local cheeses and cured meats. Try to nab one of the tables on the outdoor terrace.
Nestled in a naturally formed cavern below ground, Cave Bar More is attached to the hotel of the same name on the Lapad Peninsula. Constellations of twinkly fairy lights decorate the stalagmites and stalactites, and it’s an atmospheric location to enjoy a cocktail or two, with the gentle pitter-patter of electronica in the background. Outside, the coastal promenade offers extensive views of the Old Town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.