Dalmatian cuisine is characterised by a spectacular array of seafood. Oysters from nearby Mali Ston are particularly sought-after, with dedicated gourmands pilgrimaging to the Peljesac Peninsula to sample the saltwater treats. Foodies should note that the best time of year to order fish and seafood in Dubrovnik’s restaurants is during spring, before much of the stock is frozen in preparation for the tourist season. Read our guide to find the best table in town for fresh Croatia seafood in Dubrovnik.
Explore Dubrovnik from the water by hiring a yacht for the day through SamBoat. Alternatively, venture further afield on a multi-day rental with Dream Yacht Charter.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the city’s longest-running restaurants, Proto is a local stalwart, consistently serving the finest Croatian seafood and fish in town. The history of the restaurant stretches all the way back to 1886, and holds bragging rights to once hosting royalty: King Edward VIII and his wife dined here. Proto’s regal history is reflected in its costly mains, but, with creatively presented, astonishingly fresh dishes, it’s well worth the price tag.
The first of its kind in Dubrovnik, Azur fuses fresh seawater ingredients with Asian flavours. It’s a welcome addition to straightforwardly seafood-dominated scene in Dubrovnik, where the de rigueur is a piece of grilled fish accompanied by potatoes and chard. Azur provides excellent pan-Asian food packed with deliciously robust, fragrant ingredients, nicely melding Mediterranean and Asian traditions.
A big fish in a small pond, the shining beacon of Dubrovnik’s dining scene is spearheaded by renowned Croatian chef Mario Bunda and basks in a top-drawer setting, with sea-facing terraces overlooking the Lovrijenac Fortress and the City Walls. Nautika prides itself on the freshness of its ingredients: lobster is sourced from Vis Island, shellfish from Elafiti and oysters from Ston. Expect culinary finesse, crisp white napery and militarily attentive service – with a frighteningly high bill to match.
It would be easy to just stroll past this unassuming Croatian seafood restaurant, tucked away in Lapad, 10 minutes by car from Dubrovnik town centre. Take a seat on the terrace underneath a tangerine tree and tuck into fresh-off-the-boat oysters, tuna tartare and seared octopus salad. It’s far removed from the overpriced tourist traps you might stumble into in the Old Town – expect reasonable prices, a warm welcome and top-quality food.
If you’re on a budget, head to locals’ favourite Kamenice, situated right in the heart of the Old Town. You can’t miss the blue and white striped chairs that make this casual restaurant stand out on Gundulić Square. Hearty portions are part of the appeal here – think olive oil-drenched seafood spaghetti, as well as generous plates piled high with mussels and calamari fritti. Arrive early to nab a table before the queues begin to form.
Travelling with your other half? Book a table at Forty-Four, a romantic restaurant in the heart of the Old Town. Inside the traditional stone walls, you’ll find a surprisingly contemporary interior, complete with space-age lights and mid-century furniture. The dishes are equally enticing – tuck into truffle risotto, followed by pan-seared duck breast. Ask for a wine recommendation from the extensive list.
Burger fans, make sure you pop into Barba. It’s Croatian-style fast food at its best, but don’t expect angus beef here. Calamari and shrimp, as well as octopus patties, are the speciality, served in squid ink buns with a side of fries. It makes sense that this cafe-style joint is named after the Croatian term for a fisherman. Stand in line for a table or ask for your meal to go, so you can devour your meal with your legs dangling over the harbour walls at the nearby Old Town port.
Crystal chandeliers and floor-to-ceiling windows hint at the elegant Croatian-Asian fusion food served inside this ornate Dubrovnik townhouse. Highlights include homemade gnocchi, topped with brown butter and toasted spicy almonds, alongside perfectly cooked sea bream, drizzled with a wine and caper sauce. Reserve a table on the rooftop terrace and watch the sky turn crimson red as the sun sets over the terracotta Old Town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.