The largest city in the southern region of Dalmatia and the second largest in Croatia, Split serves as the economic, administrative and tourist centre of Croatia’s vast coastline. On land, the city’s ancient roots stretch back 1,700 years to Roman times and there are dozens of ancient sites to explore. Out on the water, Split is the main gateway to some of Croatia’s most popular islands. Here, we reveal some of the top day trips to take from Split if you’re chartering or sailing your own boat.
See some of the most magnificent coastal spots with Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Brač is the largest island in Dalmatia and is situated about 50 minutes away from Split by ferry. Brač has a rich history that dates back to the Neolithic period and is especially famous for its beautiful white stone that has been used to construct many ancient Roman structures, including the Diocletian Palace in Split. During your time on Brač, be sure to visit Zlatni Rat, a lick of a beach about 2km (1mi) from the harbour town of Bol on the island’s southern coast. Not only does this golden pebble beach have a unique V shape, but its shape also changes ever-so-slightly depending on the wind conditions and sea currents.
The Blue Lagoon
Thanks to its almost otherworldly blue waters sheltered by the islands of Veliki and Krknjaši, Krknjaš Bay is more popularly known as The Blue Lagoon. Situated just 30 minutes away from Split by speedboat, this gorgeous spot takes you away from the hustles and bustle of town to a peaceful oasis of sand. Join a day tour with Toto Travel, which includes a visit to the historical town of Trogir, a blissful sojourn at The Blue Lagoon before popping by Stomorska, a small village on nearby Šolta island with a long history of fishing.
Not to be confused with the Blue Lagoon the Blue Cave, on the island of Biševo, is one of the most photographed spots in Croatia because of its ethereal blue light – a result of the morning sunlight reflecting from the seafloor. While you can take a boat from Split directly to the Blue Cave, it’s recommended to catch the earliest ferry from Split to Vis before hopping on a local boat to the Blue Cave. That way, you can beat the crowds queuing to get in as boats from Vis get right of way into the Blue Cave.
Located about 30 minutes south of Split by boat, the island of Šolta might be small but it sure packs a punch with things to see and do. To get the best out of Šolta, book a tour with Bonaca Tours, which is run by three Dalmatian locals – one of which grew up on the island itself. There are many hidden coves dotted on the southern side of the island, so you can easily find a quiet spot to while away the afternoon. Don’t leave Šolta without visiting Maslinica, a bucolic port village that has won national awards for its authenticity.
This tiny uninhabited island is probably not on many tourist radars but Bonaca Tours, which pride themselves on taking their guests off the beaten track, recommend Brusnik for its unique topography. This volcanic island is almost 150 million years old and is made of black volcanic rock that is as hard as granite. The combination of the Jurassic-like scenery coupled with the sparkling sea and dazzling sunshine make this island quite a sight to behold.
After the 2018 musical comedy Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again was filmed here, the already-popular island of Vis – located 2.5 to 3 hours away from Split by ferry – became even more packed with music fans hoping to get a glimpse of the iconic filming locations. For those seeking a little more tranquillity, the charming coastal town of Komiža on the western coast of the island offers a slice of Dalmatian paradise with its characterful back streets and postcard-perfect pebble beaches. There’s also a scattering of top-notch dining establishments, with Restaurant Pojoda, Lola Konoba, Roki’s and Fort George being some of the best-rated spots.
For history buffs, the main draw of Hvar is the ancient fortress that dates from before 500 BC but for the stylish set, this picturesque island is better known for its party scene. The town of Jelsa, located in the middle of the outcrop, is home to numerous bars, restaurants and clubs as well as hotels and private apartments catering to tourists. During the summer, pack a beach towel and soak up the Mediterranean sun on the gravel beaches fringed with pine forests.
Situated somewhat between Split and Dubrovnik, the island of Korčula is said to be the birthplace of the famed Venetian merchant and explorer, Marco Polo. Today, Korčula is perhaps better known for its Grk white wine, which is grown almost exclusively here, so a vineyard tour is a must. Other must-try activities include taking a gander around its historic Old City and sunbathing on the gorgeous Pupnatska Luca Beach.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.