There’s easy bike access to Zagreb’s must-see sights – making the Croatian capital an ideal destination for travellers who prefer to explore on two wheels.
Croatian cuisine, neo-Gothic architecture and hidden pockets of nature are ripe for exploring in Zagreb – and you can see them all on your own terms. Whip out your helmet and join the city’s 200,000 active cyclists on the central cobblestoned streets and in the urban forest. Make the most of your day pedalling across the Croatian capital with this tailor-made cycling itinerary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start your cycling sojourn with Nextbike
With 20 locations across the city and more than 10,500 users, Nextbike is the go-to bike service for cyclists in Zagreb, and it’s also the city’s first public bike-sharing system. Create an account and proceed to choose your chariot: a regular bike will cost you 5HRK (£0.60) for 30 minutes, while an electric bike is 10HRK (£1.20) for 30 minutes. Nextbike allows payments via credit card and text message, so you can pay as you cruise and easily add more time if you need to.
Prepare to pedal with a hearty breakfast
Get underway at Korica, an artisanal bakery located in the heart of Zagreb on Preradovićeva Street where you can load up on energy with speciality pastries, from butter caramel brioches and PB&J cruffins to protein-packed breakfast pies. Find a spot to savour it all among the interior’s geometric-patterned walls and industrial-style lampshades, or grab a sandwich to go. As you chow down, enjoy the taste of bread made only from flour, water, yeast and salt: additives don’t exist here.
Travel through time at the Archaeological Museum
Head east down Baruna Trenka Street and turn left once you hit Trg Josipa Jurja Strossmayera. Continue straight, pausing at the verdant Zrinjevac Park to your right. Admire the 220 plane trees guarding the park’s flanks and its central 19th-century music pavilion, which plays host to open-air concerts year-round. A two-minute ride from Korica, on the left side of Zrinjevac Park’s northern end, sits the Archaeological Museum. Spend an hour or two meandering through exhibits, including a mummy from 4th-century BC Zagreb and the longest Etruscan inscription ever found.
Take on Tuškanac Forest
“A green oasis hidden in the very centre of Zagreb” is how mountain biking competitor Luka Ištuk describes your next stop: Tuškanac Forest, also known as the “lungs of Zagreb”. Luka, a Zagreb native, explains how the forest is “one of the best spots in the city for lovers of mountain biking, even beginners”. To reach Tuškanac (an eight-minute ride away), take Praška Street north to the main square, then take a left. Head straight down Ilica Street, then left onto Dežmanova Street, which leads to the forest. Gallivant through the intertwining tracks of Zagreb’s hilly answer to Central Park.
Refuel at Lari & Penati
With top-notch Mediterranean food and a casual atmosphere, Lari & Penati is the perfect place to fill up for an afternoon of adventure. Find it in under 15 minutes by heading back down Dežmanova Street, taking a left onto Ilica Street. After a right onto Petrinjska Street, you’ll see the restaurant – with funky decor including walls lined with hanging pots and pans, it’s hard to miss. Lari & Penati (named after Roman gods) has a menu that changes daily, but expect a tasty selection of soups and starters along with hearty meat and seafood entrées.
Discover socialist Zagreb
Your next destination is the marvellous Maksimir Park, a 20-minute ride away. To get there, you’ll cross a part of the city with a grittier flavour than the centre, full of graffiti-adorned concrete skyscrapers from the bygone socialist era. First, head north from Lari & Penati and turn right onto Pavla Hatza Street. Take a slight left onto Kneza Mislava Street and follow it to the Square of the Victims of Fascism; with the Meštrović Pavilion at its centre, it’s a stunning photo op. From there, follow King Zvonimir Street east until you reach Svetica Street, then turn left and arrive at Maksimir. Take pictures of any funky street art that catches your eye along the way.
Explore Maksimir Park
Get lost in southeastern Europe’s first public promenade. Maksimir Park opened in 1794 and has become one of Zagreb’s most-visited locations, loved by the city’s cyclists, joggers and picnickers. Roam around the park’s 740 acres of sprawling forests, English-style gardens, and five lakes. Along with enchanting 19th-century gazebos, eclectic sculptures and Victorian-style lamp posts, Maksimir is also home to the Zagreb Zoo.
Dine at Duksa
Polish off a pizza at restaurant Duksa, just two minutes from Maksimir. Exit the park heading north up Bukovačka Street, turn left onto Benkovićeva Street, then take a right onto Duknovićeva Street, where Duksa awaits on your left (alternatively, just follow the smell of fresh dough and basil). Within the colorful interior adorned with fairy lights and family photos, choose from pizzas including “When the Lambs Aren’t Silent” (featuring sheep’s cheese and prosciutto) and “Shiitake Happens” (with shiitake mushrooms and fresh basil).
Kick up your feet at Svijet Piva
For the final leg of your tour of Zagreb, let loose at Svijet Piva (meaning ‘World of Beer’). The pub is just a five-minute ride away from Duksa: head south down Duknovićeva Street, take a left onto Benkovićeva Street, then a right onto Bukovačka Street. Ride a few minutes westward onto Maksimirska Street and find Svijet Piva on your right. The local craft-beer selection includes Zagreb-favorite Zmajsko (meaning ‘dragon’), while foreign beers include O’Hara’s and Mikkeller.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.