If you want to soak up all the art in Sofia in only 24 hours, so you have the rest of the time for day trips from Sofia, you can do it. We have picked the best art attractions in the city that you can see in a day – without rushing and including stops for refueling at food venues that have an artsy vibe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kvadrat 500 is a branch of the National Art Gallery where Bulgarian and foreign art is presented in a recently renovated building. The venue has more than 1,000 works of art exhibited on four floors. If you want a more in-depth look into Bulgarian art, you can also visit the National Art Gallery itself.
Insider tip: On Thursdays, the ticket for Kvadrat 500 Gallery costs 2 BGN (€1) instead of 10 BGN (€5). It’s open from 10 am to 6 pm on Thursdays.
1, 19-ti Fevruari Str., Sofia 1000, Bulgaria, +359 2 980 0073
If you want to immerse yourself in Sofia’s art world, head to Tsar Samuil Street or as it’s nicknamed, the Street of Galleries. One of the most prominent places to stop by is Paris Gallery. The art venue focuses on contemporary Bulgarian artists whose creations are in the field of figurative art and naïve art.
47, Tsar Samuil Str., Sofia 1000, Bulgaria, +359 2 980 8093
Synthesis Gallery is the home of photography in Sofia. Located on the central Vasil Levski Boulevard, it shows the contemporary face of Bulgarian photography. The venue is a hub for professionals, amateurs, and admirers with exhibitions, photo courses, and public lectures taking place there. There is a cozy, luminous café next to the gallery where you can mix with the local photo society.
55, Vasil Levski Blvd., Sofia 1142, Bulgaria, +359 88 802 4999
Dada Cultural Bar
Dada Cultural Bar is a cultural hub where miscellaneous events take place almost daily – book presentations, independent movie screenings, live concerts, etc. The club is small and it has its own particular ambiance with records hanging on the wall. If you need to freshen up with a beer, why not try one of the Bulgarian craft beers from its menu?
Insider tip: If there is a special event the night you plan to visit the bar, it’s a good idea to make a reservation through its Facebook page, because the place is small.
10, Georgi Benkovski Str., Sofia 1000, Bulgaria, +359 87 706 2455
Rosso is the first painting bar in Sofia where you don’t go to admire art but rather to create it while enjoying a glass of wine. The bar has a different painting topic every night, so look through its program and find your inspiration.
16, Bant Str. 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria, +359 877 900 963
Street Art Tour
Join the free Sofia Graffiti Tour to explore the other side of the coin. The knowledgeable guides will not only take you around impressive pieces of art scattered around the city, but for two hours you will see the street art movements, the recent history of Sofia and, eventually, be able to see the big picture in context.
The perfect ending of an art-filled day in the streets of Sofia is at MOMA Restaurant. The venue is inspired by the Bulgarian folk motifs, embroidery, and traditions, which have been incorporated into the artsy interior in a stylish and truly impressive way. The menu has been designed to walk you through most of the typical Bulgarian dishes.
28, Solunska Str., Sofia 1000, Bulgaria, +359 885 62 20 20
Checkpoint Charly Jazz Restaurant
Checkpoint Charly is a place with an artistic vibe where your dinner will be complemented by jazz music. The menu offers traditional Bulgarian treats, European classics, and a few Asian dishes. If the old-time atmosphere gets you in the right mood, why not flip through the pages of an old newspaper?
12, Ivan Vazov Str., Sofia 1000, Bulgaria, +359 2 988 0370
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.