Sarajevo, Bosnia’s capital, enthrals itself in history from the legacy of almost five centuries of Ottoman rule to the bullet-riddled apartment blocks from the recent war. Joining one of the tours in Sarajevo allows you to appreciate what you’re seeing rather than just snapping a photograph. Here are the best tours to give you that depth of understanding the sophisticated traveller craves.
Neno and Friends Free Sarajevo Walking Tours
Savvy backpackers and budget travellers around the world have started to take advantage of free walking tours. Most major cities have tip-based excursions where tourists just turn up at a meeting point. Knowledgeable local guides show tourists the best sites and attractions with a running commentary on their background and significance. Then you give as much or as little as you can afford.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Neno and Friends run two free city tours in Sarajevo: East Meets West and War Scars and New Times. The first begins in the morning and lasts approximately two and a half hours. A guide shows Sarajevo’s historical layers including Ottoman, Austro-Hungarian, Yugoslavian and the Bosnian War (1992-1995). Visitors see and learn about Bascarsija Old Bazaar, the opulent Sarajevo City Hall built by the Austro-Hungarians, and the city’s best bars, cafés and nightclubs. You’ll also understand how Sarajevo’s Brewery helped people survive the almost four-year siege.
The War Scars and New Times in the afternoon covers the Bosnian War in depth. You’ll see war damage and the places of significance while listening to first-hand accounts of daily life in war-torn Sarajevo. The guide shows the bullet holes covering apartment blocks, explains the city’s ubiquitous Sarajevo Rose (a damaged shell with red dye to mark the spot people died), and what the future holds for Bosnia.
If you like their free tours in Sarajevo, Neno and Friends have two private (paid) ones for a more personal experience. The Food and Culture Walking Tour takes visitors around Sarajevo, sampling the best traditional food. The other is a private tour around the city.
The Tunnel Tour
The Sarajevo war tunnel connected besieged neighbourhood Dobrinja to unoccupied Butmir. The Tunnel of Hope as it later became known, stretched 800 metres (0.5 miles) underneath the airport. Supplies, ammunition, and refugees could pass in and out. A small section remains open to the public along with a minefield garden and archive footage.
The Tunnel Tour in Sarajevo at €15 ($17.60) per person is a bargain since the price includes the €5 ($6) admission fee. A guide collects you in the city centre and gives a detailed account of events that once took place in the surroundings. Tourists get the overall package learning about life during war, recovery, and the future.
The Jewish Tour
Walking around Sarajevo today, visitors would be forgiven for not giving Judaism a second thought. Mosque minarets dominate the skyline with the call to prayer echoing around the streets. Churches, both Catholic and Orthodox, are present, too. But people often forget about Sarajevo’s once thriving Jewish community.
The Ottomans welcomed both Sephardim and Ashkenazim Jews into their empire, where they later started businesses and contributed to society’s development. The Holocaust destroyed everything. Sarajevo’s Jewish Tour gives an insight into their life, religion, customs, food and traditions as well as showing you the city’s most important synagogues. Tours last for four hours and costs €25 ($29.40) per person, including admission into the Museum of Jews in BH.
Islam You Didn’t Know About
Sarajevo has a large Muslim population. Bosnian Muslims, or Bosniaks, live a European lifestyle while retaining their religious beliefs. Some are secular; others attend mosque to pray multiple times each day.
Unfortunately, in the modern world, Islam has a lot of negative stereotypes that just aren’t true. And Sarajevo’s Islam You Didn’t Know About aims to break those misconceptions. Tours last for two hours at €15 ($17.60) per person. The guide takes you to some of Sarajevo’s most important mosques and inside the Bey’s Museum.
Sarajevo, the European Jerusalem
Sarajevo Funky Tours have a walking tour around the city’s old and modern parts. Tourists see the major attractions in Sarajevo including the Bascarsija, Copper Alley, and the famous Sebilj Fountain on Pigeon Square. You’ll also see the Yellow and White Bastion, the spot of Franz Ferdinand’s assassination on Latin Bridge, mosques, churches, the Jewish Museum, as well any many other must-see attractions in Sarajevo.
Sarajevo, the European Jerusalem provides more one-on-one time with the guide. Smaller groups mean more dialogue compared to the larger crowds on the Free Walking Tour. Guides explain the best spots to sample Sarajevo food and offer tips and suggestions on other parts of travel such as LGBT tourism. Tours cost €20 each person and last three hours.
The Best Tours in Sarajevo
Lots of tours in Sarajevo take visitors through the rich and complicated history of Bosnia’s capital. Joining a tour not only shows you the best attractions, but gives you context, a profound cultural understanding and a more in-depth appreciation for the city, making your trip more meaningful and memorable. Travel, after all, is about new experiences and seeing the world from a different perspective.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.