Are you looking for a stopover between Sarajevo and Belgrade, or want to explore the part of Bosnia that most tourists don’t? If you answered yes, Brcko–Bosnia’s fourth region–is an excellent spot with an interesting political story. There isn’t so much to do in Brcko, and 48 hours is enough time to experience the city and learn its story.
An early arrival in Brcko
More likely than not, you’ll arrive at Brcko Bus Station. Located about one and a half kilometres (one mile) from the city centre and about two from the Riva Sava, you can either walk (20 minutes) or get a taxi. Some hotels in Brcko have a central location, but others are quite far away. If you decide to walk, head north through the Novo Brcko, or New Brcko, neighbourhood and through Velika Park.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
An afternoon exploring the heart of the city
The first stop on any trip to Brcko is Trg Mladih, the main pedestrianised street. Austro-Hungarian architecture dominates, and you’ll find some of the best coffee shops in Brcko here too. Start in the south and stroll north while marvelling at the former merchant houses, the yellow and orange City Hall and Hotel Posavina. Fontana Mladosti, one of most famous places to see in Brcko, is near the square. The fountain’s sculpture depicts two children holding a large fish, which signifies the river’s historical and cultural importance.
As you reach the confluence of the Rivers Brka and Sava, turn right and visit Atik-Saska Dzamija, the city’s oldest mosque. Built at the start of the 17th-century, the religious building has been destroyed and rebuilt multiple times. Today it has a modern design with a terracotta tiled pyramid-shaped roof and a single minaret. Be sure to take a few photographs of one of the most unique attractions in Brcko.
Eat at the best restaurant in Brcko
One of the most recommended things to do in Brcko is to eat in the city’s best restaurant. Bakarni Lonac doubles as a hotel, with world-class chefs cooking everything from fresh seafood, grilled meats and various dishes from around the Balkans. Expect prices to be high, but the food will be unlike any other in the region. You’ll need to take a taxi from downtown Brcko.
Not everyone can afford the luxury of eating at the best restaurant in Brcko, especially those travelling in Bosnia on a budget. As an alternative, you’ll find lots of restaurants in central Brcko serving more affordable meals, including Bosnian kebabs (cevapi), barbequed meat and other traditional dishes.
Morning caffeine fix
Day one involved a lot of sightseeing. Two will be more relaxed. When you wake up, head back to Trg Mladih for your morning caffeine in one of the manycafes in Brcko. For breakfast, grab a Bosnian Burek (pastry filled with either meat, cheese or spinach) from one of the many bakeries along the street.
Caffe Corso has a beautiful interior design and affordable Bosnian coffee. Locals congregate in the welcoming environment in the morning. Alternatively, there’s Caffe Boa, on the same block, which has strange interior design that’s a cross between an English pub and a Central European coffee shop.
More sightseeing and photography
Amateur photographers love visiting Brcko for the views of the River Sava, Austro-Hungarian façades and religious buildings, such as the Atik-Saska Dzamija Mosque and Sacred Heart Church. You probably photographed the first yesterday, which means you should visit Brcko’s only Catholic church today.
After breakfast, continue heading south along the pedestrian street onto Bosne Srebrene for about a kilometre. The white church dates back to 1933, and will be in front of you. Feel free to explore nearby Velika Park too.
Later, head to the River Sava. Croatia and the European Union begin on the opposite side. Ficibajer, a large park along the river’s banks on the northern side of the city, provides a shady place to relax with views. Consider taking a taxi from the church if you don’t want to walk 20 minutes.
Enjoy a drink
After an active two days in Brcko, finish your trip with a meal overlooking the river at Sheher La Petite. Later, grab a drink at the Old Dubliner Irish Pub, rated one of the best bars in Brcko. Tourists and locals love the pub for the selection of beer, live music and the welcoming environment, making it a must-visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.