Medjugorje became famous in 1981 after six teenagers claimed they saw the Virgin Mary on top of a hill. Since then, it has been regarded as an unofficial Catholic pilgrimage town, attracting large numbers of visitors each year. Expect Italian coffee shops and gelaterias on every corner and crowds bustling for a seat at mass in St James Church. Climb Apparition Hill for the best view of Bosnia’s famous Catholic pilgrimage site, then book yourself into one of these quality hotels in Medjugorje.
This is one of the few hotels in the city centre of Medjugorje providing special services for pilgrims, including a prayer room furnished as a small chapel. Drop your bag in one of the 99 comfortably furnished rooms and make your way down to the wellness centre, complete with whirlpools, a sauna, a Turkish bath and massages on request. The Ai Dogi restaurant is a highlight with Mediterranean specialities from Italy, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Dalmatia, as well as pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven.
This hotel complex was designed to mimic a traditional Herzegovinian village with stone houses dotted around a tranquil pond, just a few kilometres from the famous shrine of Medjugorje. Handmade furniture crafted from oak, stone walls and parquet floors add to the homely feel. Opt for an apartment if your group requires more space – they have their own fireplace. On-site, there’s also a rustic restaurant, chapel, museum, large outdoor pool, playground and a stable with farm animals.
If you are looking for classical elegance and modern comfort, you will find it in this hotel, located right in the heart of Medjugorje. Unfussy rooms painted in bright colours await you. On the ground floor, the hotel restaurant serves traditional and creative dishes paired with local wine. Don’t miss the wine and cheese bar on the roof terrace – with an unbeatable view of the town and its surroundings.
Just 250m (820ft) from St James Church, Hotel Luna will offer a memorable stay during your pilgrimage. Inside the contemporary building, you’ll find a glass staircase leading to luxuriously furnished rooms, decked out in neutral colours. Options include singles, doubles, triples and quads. The casual on-site restaurant serves international and regional cuisine – make sure you try a glass of Žilavka or Blatina wine while you are there.
Just as close to St James Church, Hotel Leone sits at the centre of Medjugorje. The glass facade leads you into a sleek, contemporary four-star hotel. Large groups should book the family room, which sleeps four and includes extra-long beds for tall travellers. All rooms are soundproofed to ensure a good night’s sleep. Make the most of the free on-site parking and sumptuous breakfast buffet.
There’s a reason it’s called Wine Hotel Cesarica. The Grge Vasilj family has been making its own high-quality wine for over 170 years. Book a tasting at the Carska Vina alongside visiting nearby Cross Mountain and Apparition Hill. Rooms are simple, ranging from singles to triples. As well as a separate wine bar, there is a chapel for pilgrim gatherings or personal prayer.
For the best panoramic views of Apparition Hill, book Hotel Ivona. While the hotel is situated outside Medjugorje, you can unwind in a quiet rural setting, just 20 minutes’ walk from the main church. Rooms are simple and pared back. The real highlight is the outdoor pool and patio, perfect for scorching Bosnian summer days.
Villa Flowers is close to the city centre, yet still tucked away in a serene corner of Medjugorje. Expect simple, modern rooms in single, double or triple configurations, overlooking green fields and hills. Owners Niko and Jelena will whip you up an excellent breakfast each morning with a cup of hot coffee. They can also arrange transfers to and from the airport and are ready to share plenty of local recommendations.
For more plush places to stay, check out our pick of the best boutique hotels in Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.