Brussels is one of Europe’s great international hubs for business and politics and there is plenty of first-class accommodation in the Belgian capital. Whether you want to stay in the upscale Louise neighbourhood or diverse Ixelles district, these hotels offer top hospitality and many are within walking distance of attractions like the Grand Place, Royal Palace, Triumphal Arch and the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert.
This hotel used to be a notorious prison in the 16th century during the period Brussels was ruled by the Spanish Habsburgs. Today, it’s a chic boutique hotel with spacious, stylish suites, decorated with original artwork by Magritte, Moulinsart and prints from Hergé’s Tintin. You can cosy up by the fireplace in the top-floor Armand Blaton Suite, which comes with its own private roof terrace overlooking City Hall. Downstairs, the hotel serves authentic Italian cuisine at Bocconi.
Located under the magnificent vaults and windows of the the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert shopping center, this small Danish-style hotel is just steps from the famous Manneken-Pis fountain sculpture and the Grand Place, Brussels’ central square and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Rooms have minimalist white walls and statement furniture. Its restaurant, Comptoir des Galeries, is a favourite with locals for its excellent nouveau Belgian cuisine and extensive wine list.
Taking its name from the Danish word for ‘cosiness’, the Hygge is like a warm hug in the heart of Brussels. Scandinavian design shines through the wooden furniture, house plants and sheepskin blankets. Choose between the Cozy and Relax rooms – each comes with super-fast wifi and single, twin or king-sized beds. Don’t miss the hotel’s wide-ranging international breakfast.
There is always romance on the menu at Le Plaza Brussels. It’s well known for its grand interior and attractive couple’s packages, so make sure you book a luxurious suite to impress your other half, complete with fresh flowers and a marble bathtub. You can soak among the bubbles while waiting for champagne to arrive at your door, and be sure to top off your stay with steak at the hotel’s Brasserie L’Estérel.
Art lovers should book this hotel in the heart of the Art Nouveau district. You’ll be staying within the walls of a typical 20th-century Brussels townhouse with 48 rooms, decorated in a chic monochrome style. Breakfast is a real highlight here – choose between fresh pastries and Belgian waffles, or French toast with homemade granola on the side. You can play giant chess in the outdoor courtyard or snuggle up by the fireplace with a steaming hot coffee.
Between the European Quarter and the Royal Palace, the Stanhope offers five-star luxury near the city’s top attractions. There are single rooms for solo travellers right up to suites that can sleep three people. Pets are welcome, plus environmentally conscious drivers can charge their electric car on-site. You can finish your day with a sauna session, followed by a whisky on the rocks in the Library Bar.
In the lively Sainte-Catherine district, the Novotel Brussels is a family hotel with 217 guest rooms. It is close to many of Brussels’ top attractions, including the Manneken-Pis statue and the Grand Place. You’ll find simple, modern rooms plus an indoor heated pool and fitness centre. You can head to the hotel restaurant serving international dishes and, most certainly, Belgian frites, or visit the gourmet bar and brasserie for a cold Belgian beer to end the night.
The Tangla Hotel Brussels is slightly outside of the city, just 10 minutes from Brussels International Airport. There’s an indoor pool here, which is rare for many European hotels – especially ones that don’t have a spa – plus an enormous fitness centre. Breakfast, including Belgian waffles, is served in the Le Cinq buffet restaurant. There is an upscale Chinese restaurant, Tang Dynasty, serving Cantonese cuisine. The rooms are modern and feature black-out drapes to ensure you have a peaceful night’s sleep.
The Sofitel Brussels Le Louise is in the heart of the city, designed by noted architect Antoine Pinto. One of the most interesting features is its beautiful outdoor bar, popular with locals, which is perfect for warm, summer nights. The standout rooms here include the Prestige Suite, with its large sitting area, modern bedroom and luxury bathroom with a deep-soaking tub. If you want to ride in style for a night on the town, the hotel offers a limo service.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Whitney Wasko.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For some stylish options, discover our guide to the most unique design hotels in the city. Looking for a place to unwind in Brussels? Check out our pick of the best wellness centres in Brussels and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.