Chico & Rita is an animated love story that captures the vibrant, cultural nuances of Cuba, France and America. It was awarded the Goya for Best Animated Feature Film 2011 and was nominated for Best Animated Feature Film at the 2012 Oscars. Directed by Fernando Trueba and designed by Javier Mariscal with music by Bebo Valdés, Chico & Rita is a tender and beautiful filmic masterpiece.
Chico & Rita is a love story between a young pianist and jazz songstress set against the vibrant and voluptuous exoticism of late 1940s, early 1950s Havana. As Rita’s sultry tones drift through the balmy air, a mesmerised Chico is rooted to the spot.
Rita’s vivacious character, Latino power and raw jazz talent lead her to New York, where she is catapulted into stardom. Chico follows as she begins this new phase of her life, leading to an unraveling of love and subsequent heartbreak. Both headstrong and passionate characters, the film is a beautiful depiction of the sacrificial and infectious nature of love, infused with an award-winning musical soundtrack.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chico & Rita is not simply a love story between two individuals, but a tribute to the power of music itself. The film’s bebop and jazz flavours bring a stylish and nostalgic tone to the film. As Cuba teeters on the edge of the Revolution, this era also brings about the historically significant evolution of jazz and the film’s vibrant and varying colour schemes visually support this change in musical landscapes.
The director Trueba says; ‘You don’t have to be a specialist in Cuban history and American jazz to really enjoy the movie. But maybe if you know that period and that time, then you can find some small extra gifts.’
Renowned Cuban pianist, bandleader and composer Ramon ‘Bebo’ Valdés wrote the score for Chico & Rita, which is as spellbinding as its visuals. The character of Chico is based loosely on Bebo, who was a maestro in American swing, Classical European music and local styles. Bebo remains a true musical legend for his developments and adaptations in rhythms like mambo, and was especially known for revolutionising Cuban music with his batanga, a dance craze within music havens. Similarly to Chico, the circumstances of the Cuban Revolution threw Bebo into a quiet existence after defecting from Cuba and settling in Sweden. After 30 years, Bebo was rediscovered playing piano in a Swedish restaurant and he was once more returned to fame.
As the both Chico and Rita embark on musical journeys across the world, the cities are just as much protagonists as the lovers themselves. The animated film presents sharp contrasts as it moves from the tantalising Cuban sun into the depths of New York winter, through the streets of Paris and Hollywood to settle on the electrically charged skyline of Las Vegas. With specific colour schemes, urban detailing and music tailored to the location, the ambience and culture of each place is suitably captured.
The animation process was, in fact, an extensive and detailed one. During four weeks in 2007 the co-directors filmed Havana in order to ‘give the optical information of the actors’ movements to the animators, and also make more organic camera movements, more human’. Their filming captured movements and details to provide a platform from which the animators were able to inject ambience and urban personality. Cuba’s political outlook has slowed down urban development and the city appears much like it did fifty years ago, except for its now decayed and ragged edges – an injustice to the once magnificent Cuban architecture. However, a stroke of luck came during the research trip when the film-makers stumbled across photographs of Havana in 1949. With the era, styles and buildings perfectly preserved within the photographs, the task of creating an accurate aesthetic portrayal of 1940s Cuba became much easier.
The animation itself is a creative balance between real life and the animation style. It is the feeling and emotion the animators succeed in drawing out, a hard task considering the protagonists are being realised with the touch of pen to paper. Errando comments by saying ‘You have all these feelings that an actor is giving you, on the other hand we want the poetry that animation can provide. We spent about six months discovering the right balance’.
Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal succeed in producing a film using contemporary techniques that wonderfully capture an era of nostalgia, political unrest and musical evolution. Uniting music and love, Chico & Rita is a heartwarming, passionate and beautiful visual feast.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.