Hanoi is the kind of city that stays with you long after you’ve left. From its ancient temples and emerald-green lakes to its artisan-filled Old Quarter, the Vietnamese capital invites exploration.
Take the plunge and step out into Hanoi’s motorbike-filled streets lined with ancient temples, skilled artisans, sublime coffee shops and world-class street food. Around the city’s buzzing West Lake area, you can splurge on accommodation with overwater bungalows and suites complete with hot tubs, whilst even affordable options come with spades of comfort and character. Check out our guide to the area’s best places to stay, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A plush hotel with a desirable location, many of the rooms in this lakeside retreat come with Pacific Club Privileges, which means you will receive a welcome drink, daily breakfast and complimentary laundry service as part of your stay. If you want to pamper yourself, enjoy a muscle-soothing massage in the hotel spa or indulge in a refreshing dip at the indoor pool. The only place to be at the magical hour is the open-air rooftop bar, The Summit. Watch the sun set over West Lake with an original or classic cocktail in hand.
Set in the heart of Hanoi’s Old Quarter is the Hanoi Esplendor Hotel and Spa. Decked out in elegant mono-chic furnishings, double and family suites provide a glamorous experience. Breakfast also feels like an occasion, served in the heritage rooftop restaurant where guests can choose from steaming Vietnamese noodles, plates of passion fruit and watermelon and eggs whichever way you like best. The spa is popular with those looking to ease shopped-out muscles, as are the luxury cruises to nearby Halong Bay.
A 120-room heritage hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter, the smallest room here still comes with a king-sized bed, so you know they don’t cut corners. The rooftop pool framed by plump loungers gives you a panoramic view of the city. As does the Sixteen Sky Bar, which offers a 360-degree view of Hoan Kiem Lake and the Old Quarter. During the day they can arrange visits to ancient houses and fruit orchards as well as rowing boat trips along the cit’s canals.
Neoclassical design blends with innovative ideas at La Sinfonía del Rey. Expect the best night’s sleep ever with state-of-the-art lighting systems inducive to relaxation in the evening and invigoration at the start of each day. Get pampered in the spa before sipping cocktails with the locals on the sweeping terrace of the rooftop Terraço Sky Bar.
If the wrought-iron Victorian-style entrance to the hotel doesn’t wow you, the marble-filled lobby will. There are 10 types of suites offered here, including the Love Suite that comes complete with a tantric sofa. Hanoi is one city that makes full use of its rooftops and the Peridot’s Sky Bar with its oversized birdcage seating, does just that. Perfect for snuggling up to a loved one.
An elegant hotel with a neoclassical design, the spa at Hanoi Paradise Center comes with a plush couple’s room where you can be pampered side by side. Luxury day trips can be organised to Halong Bay, where kayaking, swimming and caving expeditions await. The sprawling Family Suite comes with its very own balcony, complete with sweeping city views.
Heritage style with a millennial twist. Light-wood panelled suites mix with pops of orange velvet and crisp white sheets. The king-sized suites come with spacious bathrooms and deep tubs perfect for soaking, whilst the Sol Sky Bar gives everyone an uninterrupted view of the city, as the mixologists work their magic behind you. This hotel provides the perfect spot from which to tour Hanoi’s vibrant, grandiose Old Quarter.
Blond-wood doubles and king-size beds take centre stage in these modern suites in Hanoi’s Old Quarter. Amorita attracts backpackers and families due to its budget-friendly prices and excellent location, whilst some rooms even come with balconies complete with city views. Even the smallest rooms have a rain shower, hairdryer and bathroom amenities.
Covering all the basics whilst remaining kind to your budget, guests can expect free wifi, mineral water, satellite TV and toiletries at RedDoorz. There are three standards of double rooms in varying sizes here, whilst tropical palm prints add a touch of colour to the no-frills suites that are within a 1km (0.6mi) walk of Truc Bach Lake. The in-house coffee shop is worth a visit for its steaming coffee and crispy baguettes.
Why get a room that overlooks the lake when you can stay on the lake itself? Ride a buggy from the lobby to your suite in one of the lily pad-like clusters of overwater pavilions. Decorated in rich Vietnamese silks and dark wood, the suites are as glamorous as their surroundings. While there are restaurants and lounges aplenty, the star of the show is the Sunset Bar, which sits on its very own island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.