The wilds of Sapa have as much to offer as any city, and the bustling town, rich in Black Hmong and Red Dzao culture, makes a great base from which to explore the region. Here are the best hostels in Sapa – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi may be the go-to destinations for most, but if you really want to understand Vietnam, you need to travel to the mountains of Sapa. Here you’ll find villages famed for their handicrafts and hospitality dotted between the peaks and valleys. Immerse yourself in these unique hillside communities by staying in one of these hostels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It comes with great views of Sapa Lake and has the hikers’ favourite Muong Hoa valley on its doorstep, but it’s the social conscience of the team behind the hostel that stands out. They run a hospitality training scheme for disadvantaged youths, over half their profits go to charity and they offer volunteering opportunities and trekking tours.
The combination of mountain air, timber bunks and an outdoor terrace give the Lustig Hostel the feel of an alpine lodge. The mixed dorms and one double have mountain or garden views, but they also sport stylish shared or private bathrooms with travelling essentials such as shaving and dental sets. Need some help planning your trip? Lustig Hostel also offers a concierge service.
Experience life in a Hmong village by booking this homestay in the mountains 8km (5mi) from the town of Sapa. Spend the night in a suite or a dorm with futon beds on the floor and rich Vietnamese rugs decorating the ceiling. Vietnamese dishes are served family-style with fellow travellers around the dining table. Owner Zizi can even arrange treks for you with English-speaking local guides.
With the fluffy white clouds that hang over nearby Fansipan mountain, it’s not hard to see how this hostel got its name. The mixed dorm rooms are a little more snug than the others, but you can enjoy a little privacy thanks to the curtain around your bunk. Fuel up at the restaurant which has a terrace, or just people-watch with a cup of Vietnamese coffee.
Surrounded by bamboo forests, waterfalls and rice terraces, these grass-fringed villas lie 10km (6mi) from Sapa in the village of Giang Ta Chai. During the day you can head off for some wild swimming in the nearby Muong Hoa stream; at night you can swap tales around the campfire. Enjoy private rooms with queen beds and complimentary toiletries. The lodge has a green-thinking team, so they don’t use plastic bottles and they purify water from the mountains to use for drinking.
From a lofty position on the hillside, the Sapa Odyssey Hostel offers enviable views of the Muong Hoa valley and Fansipan mountain. The timber-framed bunks in the mixed dorm are just as sturdy as the bedding is soft. While the hostel has a games room for billiards, foosball and darts, the place to be is the restaurant terrace, where you can order crispy banh mi and fresh juice to accompany those awesome views.
This family-run hostel in the middle of Sapa provides the perfect base for your stay. Suites are spacious and come with a private bathroom and flat-screen TV. If you find the mountain climate a little chilly, the service team will provide you with an electric blanket so you can stay toasty. And if you’ve forgotten any little extras you can buy them at the on-site convenience store.
Set back from the main drag, this budget-friendly hostel offers a quieter option – although once word gets out they offer heated mattresses, it may not stay that quiet. There is a mixture of male, female and mixed dorms and suites, as well as a 24-hour front desk that offers luggage storage and laundry service. You can also bring your pet.
If you want to get away from it all, book into this mountain lodge in the hillside village of Hau Thao. It has five rooms (both single and double), which come with bare-brick walls decorated with colourful wall hangings and paintings. After a day of trekking, relax with a chilled beer on the terrace or enjoy views of the valley from one of the many hammocks.
These grass-roofed wooden villas are surrounded by lush, green mountains, and each offers either mountain or tropical garden views. A unique benefit of this homestay is the solarium, and some rooms even have a minibar. You won’t want to miss breakfast, as it includes crispy egg-filled banh mi sandwiches. The team calls them exceptional, and we can’t disagree.
This is an updated rewrite of an article originally by Abigail Malbon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.