Da Nang, like much of Vietnam, is a city undergoing massive change. Along the country’s central coast, between the East Sea and and peaks of the Annamite Mountains, a modern urban centre has emerged. As tourism has boomed, a number of great hotels arrived as well.
Located in the heart of Da Nang, each of the more than 200 rooms at the Grand Mercure is guaranteed to offer something special, whether that’s views of the sea, river or mountains. The entire staff is cheery and professional and the room service is great. For those looking to have a trip organised, they are more than willing to help. A downtown location provides guests plenty of opportunities to explore the best of the city’s vibrant nightlife.
This five-star resort is just minutes from Fusion Maia along the same stretch of fine, white sand. With rooms in the main building and romantic bungalows with private pools, it’s a great place for couples. The staff are more than amicable and the food is fantastic. A seafood buffet is offered for dinner, along with some of the best resort cocktails in Da Nang.
A nice, central location along the bright lights of the Han River ensures guests have easy access to the city, beach and airport. The views from the Novotel toward both the sea and Dragon Bridge are stunning, particularly from the Executive Lounge. Service is impeccable and the reception is constantly willing to go the extra mile to ensure that your stay is as relaxed as possible. A charming fountain lies out front, and a large outdoor pool hugs the banks of the Han River.
A sprawling modern resort on the coast of the East Sea, the Hyatt is yet another luxurious beachside establishment with easy access to the city centre. A large pool and and relaxing spa only add to the leisurely atmosphere. Great evening cocktails and many dining options are a nice bonus. The options are diverse and guests can choose from suites, residences and two- or three-bedroom private villas. A rock wall, kids’ club and water-slide also make this one of the better family options in town.
Moclan Boutique Hotel brings a hint of the jungle to the streets of Da Nang, using palm-print fabrics and a forest of potted plants to create the impression of an urban garden. Rather than confine themselves to a single style, the designers borrowed from the best: your room might have a loft-style brick wall, a Scandi desk or mid-century rattan chairs. The Garden Suites are our pick of the bunch, featuring freestanding bathtubs overlooking a miniature courtyard garden.
Spread across a quiet stretch of beach, Pulchra Resort manages to make you feel as if you’re miles from the city. After passing through a wooden gate, you follow a bamboo-lined track into the peaceful grounds, dotted with villas built in the Champa style. Most overlook the verdant gardens or placid lagoon, but if you want to go all out, book one on the resort’s private stretch of white-sand beach.
Every villa has a manicured garden, private plunge pool and a sleek kitchen, making this a strong contender for travellers who like to play hermit during their stay. Skirting the sand on My An, Da Nang’s main beach, this resort was designed with sun-soaked R&R in mind. Order cocktails to your beachside lounger or post up on a daybed at the buzzy beach club, where you can sip rosé and snack on grilled seafood.
This plush Pullman nods to the French colonial period, with its handsome dark-wood floors, shapely furniture and jewel-toned fabrics. Most rooms have private terraces overlooking the lush gardens, but the top-tier standalone cottages open right onto the sand. Diversions include a French-influenced restaurant, lively beach club and sleek spa, staffed by nimble-fingered therapists.
A few blocks back from the beach, Sofia Suite Hotel is smaller than many of the beachfront resorts, scoring well with travellers who prefer a more local feel. The building channels the Indochinese era with its decorative façade and wrought-iron balconies; in the rooms, exotic woods and art deco shapes complete the retro styling. The staff are keen to assist in any way they can, pointing you to all the best bars and restaurants in town.
Hamish Roy contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.