Offering stellar views of blue sea and rainforest, the Golden Bridge in Da Nang is one of Vietnam’s most popular tourist attractions.
The 150m-long (490ft-long) Golden Bridge is cradled by two huge stone hands that jut from the hillside like ruins from an ancient empire. Yet, there’s nothing old about them: they were constructed alongside the bridge in 2018, and helped make this monumental visitor attraction an immediate social media sensation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The landmark, however, is only a small part of a hilltop resort that’s one of the strangest places in Vietnam. Here, you’ll find a record-breaking cable car, a wacky French-themed quarter, rollercoaster rides, pagodas, a wax museum and over a million tulips.
Visiting the Golden Bridge
The Golden Bridge is situated 25km (15.5mi) west of Da Nang in the Bà Nà Hills’ Sun World Amusement Park, and links the resort’s huge cable car system with its gardens. For many visitors, the cable car is one of the highlights of the journey here. It runs for 5,801m (19,032ft), making it the longest in the world, and the views are tremendous – heading up here feels like a proper voyage of discovery, despite the queues when it’s busy.
The hands that apparently support the bridge are made of fibreglass and wire mesh, and are purely cosmetic. The Golden Bridge itself is made of gold-painted steel, and arcs out from the hillside, saving visitors a steep walk down a dip in the hill, and offering photo ops aplenty. As you stroll along it, you can check out wooded peaks, stretches of rainforest, the theme park’s gardens and the city and sea far below.
It’s incredibly popular, so come early – the resort opens at 7am – for a quieter experience. You can get here via a taxi or a tour from Da Nang, or stay overnight at the resort hotel. The weather is unpredictable, and it might be warm and sunny or misty on top, but conditions change fairly quickly.
Exploring Sun World
The Bà Nà Hills have been a retreat for over a century; French colonists built a hill station here in 1919 to get away from the sea-level heat, which makes the resort’s replica French town – with its manicured gardens, Renaissance-style statues, cathedral and shop-lined alleyways – almost make sense. There are some genuine ruins of the old settlement under another cable car, which takes you up from the Golden Bridge to the rest of the resort.
Elsewhere, there’s an alpine rollercoaster, an indoor amusement arcade, a funicular railway, cinemas, a theatre, a climbing wall, extensive gardens and several bars and restaurants. You can ride the cable cars and – if you’re a guest at the on-site Mercure French Village hotel – swim in a pool that shows movies in the evening
Most visitors just come for the day, and guests get the run of things at night. There’s a wider – and cheaper – selection of food and accommodation in Da Nang, though.
Da Nang’s attractions
Da Nang is one of Vietnam’s finest cities. It’s developing fast, but hasn’t lost its charm, and is a great place to stay. You can pack a lot – including the Golden Bridge – into a two-day itinerary, but staying for longer gives you the chance to take in its beaches, temples, bridges (yes, there’s more than one) and food (the local mì quang noodles are a famous snack, and there are specialist foodie tours, too) at an easy pace.
Cruises up the Han River, visits to the temple- and cave-packed Marble Mountains and scooter rides into the hills are alternative ways to amuse yourself once you’ve got that iconic selfie atop the Golden Bridge.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.