About your trip
From kayaking through mangroves and caves to sampling traditional street food, this 11-day trip will immerse you in the riches that southern Thailand has to offer. Starting in the buzzing capital of Bangkok, head south to Phuket and Khao Sok Lake, where you’ll stay in a floating raft house and experience a wildlife boat safari – possibly spotting a sun bear if you’re lucky. Snorkel in the Andaman Sea, embark on a sunset cruise and explore the hidden lagoon on Hong Island before some well-earned relaxation in Koh Yao Yai. Cap off your island-hopping adventure with a farewell group dinner under the star-studded sky. All of our trips are flightless in destination, with 100% of all carbon emissions offset.
- Experience the buzz of Bangkok
- Stay in a floating raft house on Khao Sok Lake
- Spot exotic birds and bears on a longtail boat ride
- Kayak through the Bor Thor Mangrove Forest
- Swim with tropical fish off Hong Island
- Enjoy a sunset cruise and barbecue in Ao Nang
- Sample authentic Thai cuisine
Touch down at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) – whether you’re arriving from home or joining from our Welcome to the Jungle: Exploring Northern Thailand trip. You’ll be met here by one of our representatives and transferred to your hotel, where you’ll get to meet your new travel companions – and our Local Insider, who will accompany the group throughout the trip. You’ll have time to drop your bags before we head out for a group dinner at a local Thai restaurant. Afterwards, we’ll introduce you to the sights, sounds – and spirits – of the famous Khao San road. Grab a drink or two, but bear in mind we’ve got an early start tomorrow!
After breakfast at your hotel, you’ll be met by our Local Insider for an early-morning tour of Thailand’s beating heart. We’ll take in some of Bangkok’s big-ticket sights, such as Wat Arun, Wat Pho and the Grand Palace, before heading back to the hotel by tuk-tuk for lunch. Come late afternoon, we’ll make our way to Bangkok railway station, where you can grab some takeaway dinner, before hopping on board the overnight sleeper train to the coastal city of Surat Thani – the gateway to Southern Thailand.
After breakfast, get ready for your transfer to Khao Sok Lake – a 165sqkm (64sqmi) body of emerald-green water, surrounded by dense rainforest and dramatic limestone formations. Upon arrival, you can store your luggage and take an overnight bag before setting off from the pier on a longtail boat for a scenic, guided journey to the raft house. Next, fuel up on lunch before hiking to a waterfall, underground cave or viewpoint, depending on the season. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure – swimming, kayaking or exploring the area’s rugged inlets.
Kick off day three with a wildlife safari by longtail boat. Keep a close eye out for hornbills and gibbons in particular; you may even be fortunate enough to spot a sun bear, too. Head back for breakfast and enjoy some free time before your minibus transfer to Krabi. En route, you’ll stop at Bor Thor mangrove forest for an unforgettable kayaking adventure. It's not strenuous, thanks to the lack of current here, and you can also explore caves that feature 3,000-year-old drawings. Come evening, watch the sun set on the beach and sample the delicious street food of Ao Nang.
Jump on a boat this morning for a day of island-hopping. You’ll start at Hong Island 6km (4mi) off the coast of Krabi; it’s actually an archipelago in the Than Bok Khorani National Park, characterised by sandy white beaches, limestone cliffs and a secluded turquoise lagoon. The calm, shallow water is ideal for swimming, snorkelling and kayaking among shoals of colourful fish. Follow the nature trail through the jungle to get a deeper feel for the islands before you head back to the mainland.
Following a laid-back morning at the hotel, you’ll be picked up and transported to the pier, where you’ll set off on a five-hour boat cruise. Enjoy Thai snacks and cold drinks, snorkel in the clear waters of the Andaman Sea and explore Chicken Island – named after the unusual chicken-shaped rock formation on its southern tip. Wrap up the day with a barbecue on deck served at sunset, featuring a variety of Thai delicacies.
Wave goodbye to the mainland once more as you take a two-hour boat transfer to Koh Yao Yai, a secluded island which sits halfway between Krabi and Phuket. Here, it’s all about relaxation. After checking into the hotel, why not make the most of the sea view from the infinity-edge swimming pool, sip on your favourite cocktail or book a soothing Thai massage at the spa. It’s time to switch off and recharge after an action-packed few days.
Fancy taking it easy for another day? It’s your choice – but for those keen to explore Koh Yao Yai, there’s plenty to see and do. Trek to the north of the island for impressive vistas from the observation deck, visit the eye-catching sand formations jutting out into the sea at Laem Had Beach, or try the miniature inflatable waterpark at Coco Beach. Alternatively, lie back and catch some rays on the pristine white sand.
Indulge in a leisurely breakfast at the hotel, because how you spend the day today is entirely up to you. Get a taste for rural island life by visiting a paddy, rubber plantation or lobster farm, venture to a different beach such as Khlong Son, Loh Pared or Ao Sai for a sunbathe and swim, or you can simply lounge by the pool. There’s no shortage of options.
Prepare for your transfer from Koh Yao Yai back to Phuket, where you’ll check into the hotel for your final stop of the trip. There are two beaches separated by a rocky headland in this peaceful corner of Phuket, called Ao Yon Bay, both of which tend to be much less crowded than other better-known beaches on the island. Take a gentle afternoon stroll along this unspoilt piece of coastline before toasting your fellow travellers during a final dinner on the beachfront.
After breakfast, it’s time to pack your bags and say farewell to the group. Head back to Phuket airport (HKT) via private transfer by approximately midday to begin your journey home. Alternatively, extend your stay in Thailand – there are plenty more beaches to discover.
- One night floating raft house accommodation
- One night boutique hotel accommodation
- One night in an overnight sleeper train
- Three nights spa hotel accommodation
- Four nights beach resort accommodation
- Private and local transport
- Ten breakfasts, three lunches, five dinners
- Local Insider
- Arrival and departure airport transfers from Bangkok (BKK) and to Phuket (HKT)
- Bangkok City tour
- Khao San road night tour
- Guided Khao Sok Lake activity
- Wildlife safari
- Bor Thor Mangrove Forest kayaking
- Hong Island day trip
- Sunset cruise and barbecue
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
- Flights to and from the destination
Riva Surya Bangkok
Elegant, understated and right in the heart of Bangkok’s main sights, this boutique hotel ticks a lot of boxes. Rooms are colonial-chic without the clichés, there’s an outdoor pool overlooking the Chao Phraya River, and the Riverside Bar makes the most of the twinkling waterside views.
Phupa Waree raft house
Staying in a floating raft house on Khao Sok Lake is a truly memorable experience. The hotel is set against the beautiful backdrop of the oldest tropical evergreen rainforest in the world, providing spectacular views. You can swim and kayak directly from the resort.
Pakasai Resort and Spa
With a rooftop infinity swimming pool, spa and fitness centre, this stylish, ecofriendly resort offers a variety of high-class amenities for a luxurious stay. Take a walk through the lush tropical gardens on site before cooling off at the most popular beach in Krabi, just a few minutes away.
Koh Yao Yai Village Resort
Gaze across Phang Nga Bay from a choice of two infinity pools, amble down to the private beach, and savour local cuisine at the Krachang Bar and Grill. Expect spacious, air-conditioned bungalows decorated with local hand-crafted artworks at this tranquil hideaway.
Bandara Phuket Beach Resort
On the beachfront with spectacular views overlooking Ao Yon Bay, this peaceful retreat offers comfortable rooms with tasteful, contemporary decor. Cool off in the rooftop pool or enjoy a drink at the Flamingo beach bar.
Your safety and wellbeing are our top priority, so we’ve put the following measures in place on all our TRIPS:
- Please check the entry requirements for the destination you are travelling to. Our travel experts can assist you in finding this information.
- We recommend you confirm all guidance on official government sites and check that you are able to travel with your travel insurance issuer. Your travel insurance may be invalidated if you travel against government advice. Our travel experts can assist you in finding this information.
- You must be aged 25 years or over to join this trip.
- Please be sure to check whether or not you need a visa to enter the country you're travelling to. Please refer to our Booking Terms & Conditions for further information.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or accessibility requirements, please notify our Customer Support team as soon as possible.
- We won't charge you extra if you travel alone – you'll be allocated a twin room with another traveller of the same gender.
- To upgrade to a private room, share a room with a friend, or book pre- and post-trip accommodation and/or airport transfers, please contact our Customer Support team.
- Please be aware that travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers.
- Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. While unlikely, these changes can happen due to circumstances beyond our control. We will always do our best to ensure minimal impact on your experience.
- Please be aware images on this page are for illustrative purposes and may not reflect your itinerary exactly.
- Please bring a day bag so you can pack for a one-night stay in the floating raft houses.
- Please note that this itinerary is available from 12 March, 2023. For enquiries about the 2022-2023 10-day Thailand South itinerary, please contact our bookings team.
The world of travel is changing – and that's why we’re offering flexible booking conditions, to take the stress out of booking in times of uncertainty.
You can get a full refund should you need to postpone or cancel your trip up to 56 days prior to departure.
Read our Booking Guarantee to find out more about how our Support Team can help you.
For the full details and cancellation charges, see our Booking Terms & Conditions.
Terms & Conditions
Please refer to our Booking Terms & Conditions.