Stay at these exotic hotels on Thailand’s largest island and you can easily explore bustling night markets and Buddhist temples as well as arrange boat trips across the Andaman Sea.
Connect with local guides and immerse yourself in unique experiences far from Phuket’s typical tourist spots. We’ve narrowed down the list of the best places to stay on Thailand’s largest island for a local experience – you can choose anything from family-run retreats to restaurant-rich resorts that embody the ever-evolving fusion of cultures that makes Phuket such an extraordinary place to visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This family-run boutique hotel blends in with the Sino-Portuguese aesthetic of Phuket’s Old Town, and features contemporary rooms as well as a cosy cafe. The owners built this boutique hotel in 2017 and are eager to share their passion for hospitality and their love of the old-world charm of their favourite city with guests. To start you off, a map provided at check-in will entice you to embark on an exploratory walking tour of the area’s best street art and points of interests – but don’t be too scared of getting lost, the sights are all within 10 minutes from the hotel.
Blu Monkey Boutique is close to some remarkable sites in Phuket such as colonial-style buildings and local graffiti art in hidden alleyways. Known for their exceptional service, the staff are knowledgeable on all things Thai and can give you the best recommendations about nearby attractions and restaurants. Decorated in a contemporary rural Thai style, the hotel is decked out in bold colours mixed with traditional wooden furnishings, cast-iron beds and fine china. Start your day with a local breakfast of khanom chin, cold rice noodles with a curry of your choice, served to your room in a cute bento box.
Built in 1927, the Memory at On On was Phuket’s very first hotel and is currently also a museum that showcases local history and the hotel’s valuable heritage. Additionally, this Phuket landmark was renovated in 2012 in keeping with traditional Sino-Portuguese style. Its old-world charm is best displayed in the lobby and the central courtyard, which are both decorated with Thai antiques, red Chinese lanterns, decorative tiles, intricately carved wooden doors and elegant arched windows.
Discover the uniqueness of Peranakan culture at this boutique hotel. Featuring antique pictures, patterns and fabrics, the hotel’s interiors are a blend of Chinese, Thai and Malay influences, just like the city of Phuket itself. Best of all, the hotel is located near attractions such as the Phuket Walking Street which is a popular Sunday night market, Thai Hua Museum which showcases Chinese history on the island, and the Golden Dragon Monument in Queen Sirikit Park. After exploring the vividly coloured facade of the Old Town, Peranakan Boutique Hotel is a calming place to rest your head.
If you’re on the hunt for something laid-back, or travelling on a budget, Book a Bed Poshtel is exactly what you’re looking for. Trendy inside and out, there’s even an indoor slide that allows you to get to the common area from the second floor. If you’d rather head out and explore, you can rub shoulders with locals at Lard Ploy Khong, an independent night market perfect for practicing your haggling skills, right on the hostel’s doorstep. The helpful multilingual staff can also direct you to great local restaurants in the area.
Designed by visionary designer and architect Bill Bensley, the Slate is located at Nai Yang Beach, on the northwest coast of the island. Inspired by Phuket’s mining past, this upscale hotel combines industrial elements and raw beauty. Beyond the hotel’s opulent interiors, the staff can help arrange activities that show guests a more authentic side of Phuket. Visit the 200-year-old temple of Nai Yang and join in the daily morning ritual of presenting offerings to the island’s Buddhist monks, or visit a bustling food market with the hotel’s head chef and learn to make tantalising dishes such as the spicy Thai soup Tom Yum.
The Gallery Hotel Nai Harn is perfect for thrill seekers and explorers alike. Located just 800m (0.5mi) away from Nai Harn beach, guests can kayak, paraglide and surf in spots otherwise known only to locals. Our tip? Borrow a bike from the hotel to explore the surrounding countryside or cycle around the Nai Harn Lake loop. The Gallery also offers a number of hand-selected tours and excursions, such as boat trips to the neighbouring Andaman Sea islands of Koh Khai, Racha, Maithon and the Similan Islands National Park.
On the southeastern coast of Phuket, Sri Panwa provides year-round opportunities for boating as eight beautiful islands are within easy reach. The hosts can arrange a memorable day for you onboard a private yacht – get ready for world-class cruising, beach-hopping and snorkelling. There’s a variety of suites and villas to choose from, all featuring infinity-edge swimming pools, sunbathing terraces and views overlooking the Andaman Sea.
Phuket Cleanse is an award-winning, detox, fitness and wellbeing retreat near Nai Harn Beach. The all-inclusive resort has seven villas set among lush tropical gardens in a lovely residential neighbourhood. They offer a wide variety of activities such as meditation, yoga, high-intensity interval training, paddle-boarding, tai chi and hiking. Train with a local champion and immerse yourself in the country’s national sport, Muay Thai, to boost flexibility and increase strength. Best of all, many of the classes take place on the beach or at local scenic hotspots.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.