The Maduzi is a rare affair, combining Japanese style and Californian levels of comfort. Notice the expanses of honey-coloured maple, offset by minimal whites. There are filigree wood screens and those large ofuro Japanese baths made of cedar. Mid-century leather Eames chairs work modishly with minimalist fitted work stations. A few minutes’ walk from the Asok skytrain station, the hotel’s in a plum location, too – just off Sukhumvit Road, bristling with spas and restaurants.
Busy with traffic, bustling with pedlars, brimming with street stalls, with incense-scented shrines at every corner: Bangkok’s Chinatown is either bewitching or bewildering, depending on your tastes. If it appeals, then so should Bed and Brews; particularly the mezzanine suites of tall Chinese windows, whitewash and warm woods. The property is a mock-French colonial affair on the edge of the neighbourhood, above a Chinese tea room. It’s a manageable stroll to the spectacular temple of the Golden Buddha and – even with baggage – to Hua Lamphong railway station.
Located just moments away from the Chit Lom BTS station, the luxurious Hotel Muse is an award-winning boutique hotel with a unique design – a mix of Asian elements and classic European detailing. It has an array of rooms and suites with either twin or king-sized beds. Hotel Muse is also a foodie destination, with two excellent in-house restaurants. Medici Kitchen & Bar offers Italian cuisine, while the 1920s-style steakhouse, Babette’s, serves up tender cuts of wagyu and Australian tenderloin. Head up to The Speakeasy Rooftop Bar for a nightcap and gorgeous views.
The charming Bangkok Publishing Residence retains the vestige of its former life as the headquarters of a long-gone magazine. Publishing paraphernalia from the 20th century is spread out across the property. Rooms are fitted with desks and dressed in mahogany tones. There’s also a library, a rooftop with a jacuzzi overlooking the Old Town and a museum that non-guests can only see by appointment.
Overlooking the sacred Chao Phraya River, Hotel Once Bangkok boasts a modern design and clean lines. The rooms contain one-of-a-kind antique pieces, custom-designed furniture and claw-foot bathtubs. Some of the more luxurious rooms come with a jacuzzi set beneath a large Palladian window. Enjoy food, cocktails and panoramic views of the river at the Top Knot rooftop bar & restaurant.
With two infinity pools and an outdoor jacuzzi, each with stunning views, the luxurious five-star 137 Pillars Suites and Residences offers a very scenic solution to beat the Bangkok heat. While all the rooms are beautiful, the Rattanakosin Suites are truly spectacular and come with two bedrooms, a 3m (10ft) balcony, plush beds and the signature 137 Pillars circular bathtub – did we mention the views?
Nestled in the heart of historic Rattanakosin on Phraeng Phuthon Road, 1905 Heritage Corner comprises two converted shophouses and has just three rooms. The hotel’s heritage craft shop & cafe is a treasure trove from villages all over the kingdom, so don’t forget to bring a souvenir home with you.
Just a short walk from the Grand Palace, Wat Po and other ancient sites, Sala Rattanakosin is one of the very few hotels that directly overlooks Wat Arun, or the Temple of Dawn. This luxury boutique hotel offers 15 modern rooms, with some facing the temple and river, and others facing Wat Pho. Sala Rattanakosin also has an onsite restaurant, which serves some of the best Thai food in the city, and a rooftop bar with great cocktails – both are highly recommended even if you are not staying at the hotel.
Cabochon Hotel and Residence ranks high on the list of Bangkok’s luxury-for-value lodgings. It’s brimming with 1920s-inspired design elements, such as brass chandeliers and antique typewriters. Guests can also enjoy a range of onsite facilities, including The Library Bar and a rooftop pool. But if you’re keen to explore Bangkok, the residence’s prime location allows for easy access to transportation and main attractions.
From five-star stays with Michelin-star dining to chic retreats for the budget-conscious crowd, here’s our guide to hotels for all budgets in Bangkok.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.