It’s a race against time: you have 48 hours in Phuket, and you are not sure what activities and top sights you should see. With so many articles on the top things to do in the area, it can be hard to pick and choose the best recommendations. Look no further, this itinerary shows you how to make the most of 48 hours in Phuket, Thailand.
Interested in visiting Phuket? Let our local insider show you the best of the city on Culture Trip’s 10-day tour of Southern Thailand.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Head to Phuket Town
The first spot on our itinerary is Phuket Town. The architecture here, with colourful shops, hostels and cafes lining the streets, cannot be beaten. Many of these buildings are in a Sino-Portuguese style, and it is considered one of the most attractive areas of Phuket. Some of the best cafes in Phuket Town include Tunk-Ka Cafe, Cakebox and Bookhemian – a coffee shop, bookstore and art space all in one. There is also a variety of unique accommodation options, including a plethora of boutique hostels that are both trendy and adorable. Some of the best hostels in Phuket Town include Phuket 346, which is located right on one of the cutest streets in the entire city: Soi Rommanee. There are also some souvenir shops scattered throughout the city that are a bit more upscale than what you would find in Thai markets and shops.
Browse Chinpracha House
If you have the time and consider yourself a history buff of sorts, take some time to browse Chinpracha House in Phuket Town. This historical home was built in 1903 by Prapitak Chinpracha. He built the home when he was 20 years old, drawing upon both Chinese and Portuguese architecture. The furniture within the house belongs to his ancestors, who were originally from China. Throughout the years, the house acquired furniture from Holland, Italy and other European countries. Chinpracha House is open every day, except Sunday, from 9am to 4:30pm. There is an entrance fee of 150 Thai baht (£3.30).
Take a stroll down Soi Rommanee
Amateur photographers and professionals alike need to visit this quaint stretch of Sino-Portuguese style buildings, shops and hostels. The soi (road) is unlike any you will normally see in Thailand. It is quiet and attractive, and you will, oftentimes, find brides- and grooms-to-be making their way down this lovely lane to take some pre-wedding pictures. The street connects Thalang Road with Dibuk Road.
Relax at Saphan Hin
If you don’t like sand between your toes, instead of heading to the beaches, visit Saphan Hin, a small, green space in Phuket Town. This park is perfect for eating, exercising or just relaxing for a few hours before taking on the nightlife in Phuket. Here, you’ll find many Thais congregating around communal lunches, sitting oceanside and enjoying one another’s company. You will find a mangrove forest just adjacent to this green space, with a slender walking path for you to meander down while taking in Phuket’s lovely views of the water.
Visit the Phuket Weekend Market (Naka Market)
The Phuket Weekend Market is only open on Sunday evenings. After the sun sets, the market overflows with a variety of different Thai dishes and snacks as well as an abundance of souvenirs. This market is incredibly diverse, and visitors can browse it for hours without having seen it in its entirety.
Go out on Bangla Road
Not all of Phuket is thriving before the sun goes down. While the majority of the city calls it a day after dark, Bangla Road is just getting started. Here, you’ll find a plethora of go-go bars, head-throbbing nightclubs and enough liquor to make you go crazy for an entire evening. There are plenty of outdoor bars just waiting for you to pull up a stool and lose a game of Jenga to one of its bar girls. If you love going out and having an evening you will not remember, this is the stretch of road to visit.
A guided night tour of Patong kicks off Culture Trip’s 10-day tour of Southern Thailand, which continues onto emerald-green lakes, thick mangrove forests and several beautiful islands.
Head for the beach
One of the main reasons to visit Phuket Island is to lounge on one of its many beaches. While Patong Beach is certainly the most popular amongst foreigners, there are plenty of other sandy paradises found throughout the island. Some of the best beaches to check out on the island include Layan Beach, Bang Tao, Karon Beach, Surin Beach, Paradise Beach and Kata Beach, just to name a few.
Visit Bang Pae Waterfall
The reviews are out on the Bang Pae Waterfall in Khao Phra Thaeo National Park. Some claim it is one of the most stunning waterfalls in Thailand, while others are left less than impressed. This is true of all waterfalls in Thailand, though. Head to one of these natural landforms during the dry season, and you can expect a weak trickle from the usual flowing fall. The best time to visit is during the monsoon or wet season, which is from July to October. This waterfall has ample space beneath for swimming and hanging out before you go explore the rest of the surrounding area, including a visit to the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project in the national park. Bring food and drinks, and you can spend an entire afternoon lounging at this waterfall and park. The entrance fee to access the park is 200 Thai baht (£4.40).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.