If you’re going to Thailand, you’re most likely going to the beach – and where better than Phuket, the country’s largest island, home to cove after cove of tempting sands?
Thailand’s largest island, Phuket has around 30 beaches, with spa-studded hotels and luxury resorts sewn along the sands of its idyllic seascape. Views of the Andaman Sea are there for the taking, but along the way, you’ll also uncover design that delves into the island’s tin-mining past, all-villa escapes that entice you to throw away the key and family-friendly hideaways. Here are the best beachside hotels in Phuket.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Admirers of good design will love the Slate, Phuket’s finest heritage-inspired resort, created by architect and interiors pro Bill Bensley. The design is inspired by the island’s tin mining past, with mixed wood and metal surfaces, light fixtures that double as art pieces and an overall industrial look finished off with a Thai twist. Bordering Nai Yang Beach on Phuket’s serene northern shore, it offers the chance to plan romantic beach dinners, kick back in pool-studded villas or visit the Coqoon Spa for deep-tissue massages while being gently wafted by sea breezes.
If you want a resort with Lanna architectural accents, consider a stay at the luxurious Banyan Tree Phuket. The property centres around a saltwater lagoon and all of the pagoda-like villas have sleek wood floors, Thai decor and paintings, pristine landscaped gardens and private pools. There are also yoga sessions, tennis courts, Thai language classes and cooking demonstrations to keep you entertained, plus an 18-hole golf course. For a memorable experience, book the Sanya Rak dinner cruise to dine aboard a traditional Thai boat as you float on lagoon waters.
Set in the midst of Phuket’s entertainment area, opposite Patong Beach, Baan Laimai is a casual no-frills resort within walking distance of street markets, Bangla Road’s bars and convenient shopping centres, such as the Jungceylon Mall. In short, it’s great for first-time visitors to Phuket who want to explore everything. Many rooms have poolside views and some gaze across to the beach.
Situated on the laidback southern shore of Phuket, the Gallery Hotel Nai Harn has access to beaches that remain relatively untouched. The hotel sits in front of Nai Harn Lake, just a few hundred metres from Nai Harn Beach proper. You can choose from watersports such as kayaking, surfing and paragliding, ideal if you’re seeking an active holiday. To check out the local neighbourhoods, borrow a bicycle from the hotel to take a leisurely ride along the local sois (side streets) and forest trails.
Amari Phuket is an ideal resort for an activity-filled family getaway in Phuket, on the southern end of Patong beach, facing west onto the Andaman Sea. There are plenty of family-friendly suites in the Ocean Wing that feature modern Thai craft, and the hotel offers babysitting services, a kids’ club, a colourful play area and value-for-money dining – plus kids under eight eat free from the children’s menu.
This chic haven feels like a tranquil jungle retreat, even though it’s only a short drive from Phuket airport. Built on the longest – and most secluded – beach in Phuket, it has a centrepiece spa featuring waterfalls and a circular pool. The resort includes five dining spots, a main outdoor pool, fitness centre and open-air communal lounging areas, so it’s easy to forget the outside world entirely.
The Mandarava Resort and Spa encapsulates the best of both worlds: it’s a lavish resort that feels a world away from the dining and shops that are nonetheless just outside its perimeter. Once you’re done dipping your toes in the resort’s five pools, the resort provides a free shuttle service to Karon Beach – though it’s only 700m (0.5mi) away, and can be reached via a scenic walk that takes you past local restaurants and food stalls. The resort also provides a free yoga class and a napkin-folding tutorial, if you’ve always wondered how to make the perfect swan.
Hotel Clover provides a welcome dose of whimsy in the heart of Patong. The brightly coloured ocean-themed resort welcomes you with whale and dolphin sculptures and aquatic motifs throughout – all in reach of Phuket’s nightlife, and just a five-minute walk to Patong Beach. Choose from a variety of rooms: superior suites with balconies, ones with an indoor jacuzzi or two-bed connecting options for families. The hotel’s rooftop pool, lined with loungers and parasols, has views of the sea.
This adults-only resort, overlooking Phuket’s Kata Noi Beach, was designed with couples in mind. To up the ante, book the whitewashed sea view pool villa for its private pool, twin rain showers, free-standing clawfoot tubs and spacious sun-kissed terrace. Our top tip? Indulge in a couples massage, or surprise your partner with dinner à deux at the Kissing Point, a private glass platform overlooking the Andaman Sea.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.