It takes a lot for Penangites to swap their ais kacang (sweet shaved ice dessert) and pisang goreng (banana fritters) for other desserts – but swap they have, because these 10 places have made Penang a sweeter place all around.
Between 2012-16 there was a flourish of boutique cafés converted from pre-colonial buildings everywhere from Butterworth to Batu Ferringhi – but not all survived. The ones that did banked on tourist crowds (which is why so many are now concentrated in George Town), novelty (who doesn’t love a selfie with a funky-looking slice of cake?), or desserts so good it drew even the local crowds away from their beloved ais kacang and pisang goreng. So here are 10 places still thriving today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The desserts at Dolce aren’t just dolce (sweet), they’re also incredibly pretty. Exquisite crème brûlées, lemon pralines and passionfruit pavlovas are presented with such Instagrammable flair that it’s almost a shame to eat them. This dessert place is also known for its macarons, which are a light, fluffy, not-too-sweet affair running the full gamut of flavours from orange butternut to pistachio and coffee.
The reason you’re here is simple: You want your Kopitiam (coffee shop) white coffee hot, and your salted egg cookies and your tau fu fah (soft beancurd in gula melaka, Malaccan palm sugar) iced, sweet and in a cone. Between salted egg Oreo ice cream and tau fu fah flavours topped with swirls of sticky gula melaka, this is the best place to indulge in your post-meal cravings without hitting the street stalls.
One of the few remaining cafés on the mainland is still here for a reason, and not just for its excellent coffee. Pentagon 5 brings you solid mugs of soft-serve matcha ice-cream, best spooned up with a crispy, flaky biscuit roll. Those who prefer to slurp up their dessert may also want to give the pandan cha yen a try – it’s an iced Thai-style milk tea flavoured with the local aromatic pandan leaf.
If you want waffles, coffee, cocktails and a bit of joy, this is the place to have it all. Warm, crispy waffles are the norm here – from the Regular Joe waffle topped with rich, melting butter to the Monkey Business banana split drizzled with chocolate sauce. Culture Trip recommends the Go Go Coco, with coconut ice cream, homemade kaya (coconut jam) syrup and toasted palm seeds – because joy should be the norm, really.
Bring your friends, because Fourspoons shouldn’t be a one-person secret. This delicious hideout in Icon City, the new strip mall in Bukit Mertajam, delivers apple crumble pancakes, sweet potato waffles and black sesame soft-serve ice cream to your table or your door (even if it’s in Kuala Lumpur). Paralysed by choice? Go for the classic chocolate banana waffle – you may even forgo the optional four spoons and have one all to yourself.
Minimalists will love The Craftisan’s decor, coffee enthusiasts will love its cold brew, and sweet-toothers will love its dessert. The delicately crafted delícias de serradura (sawdust pudding) is served with soft gelato, while the decadent jackfruit panna cotta is topped with coconut flakes and gula melaka. For novelty, you can also try the unique Stacko Valentino: a crispy donut layered with whipped cream, fresh fruit and chocolate glaze.
Ever thought you could combine fresh honeydew, green tea and crepes? Well, it’s time to expand your gastronomic horizons at Crepe Cottage, where crepe-based sweets and savouries reign supreme. Between strawberry rolls, coconut parcels and mango crepe cups, you’ll be spoiled for choice at this simple, no-frills, cottage-style establishment.
While usually known for its savoury meals, this café also offers impressive desserts. From gluten-free orange polenta to honey cake marlenka, fruit scones served with jam and butter to brownies bursting with melting lava, this café serves up excellent treats for a fraction of the price of other establishments. Believe it or not, you can have one of these cakes for an affordable RM 3 (US $0.75) – it’s the best deal in Penang yet.
Scoff all you may, but once you’ve tried the Taiwanese desserts here, you’ll quickly dispense with your anti-franchise prejudice. The menu here is an exciting mix of grass jelly toppings, sweet potato balls and pinto beans (you read that right!). You can mix and match your dessert bowl or have your pearls in a stocky drink full of delectable tang yuan (tiny rice balls). Dessert just got serious.
No list would be complete without China House. Known for its generous varieties as well as its hipster vibes – think courtyards with ponds, life-sized murals and rock bands in the evenings – this shophouse-turned-café is Penang’s pride and joy. Nobody goes to Penang without visiting China House, and nobody leaves China House without a slice of its excellent lumberjack: a delightful apple-and-date cake topped with glazed coconut flakes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.