If there was ever a ‘national dish’ in Malaysia, it would be nasi lemak. This fragrant, rice-based dish is cooked with coconut cream, topped with sambal (spicy shrimp paste) and devoured with gusto by hungry locals. Want to do the latter yourself? Here are the 10 best places in Penang to have your fill of Malaysia’s favourite meal.
The humble nasi lemak has its origins in farming. Long before the boutique cafés of Kuala Lumpur served nasi lemak with lobster and burgers, this humble dish was the no-fuss, no-frills, go-to meal for farmers who toiled endlessly on the soil. Today, nasi lemak is the nation’s pre-eminent reason for getting out of bed. From street stalls to upscale restaurants, the appetite for this dish has become sambal fierce (that is, “spicy shrimp paste” fierce), and the competition is even fiercer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ali Nasi lemak
Everyone in Penang knows Ali Nasi lemak. Nestled in George Town’s main financial district, this stall is the reason bankers and analysts leave their air-conditioned sanctuaries to brave the sun and heat. Small servings of coconut rice are doused in generous lashings of spicy sambal and pre-wrapped in banana leaf. The basic anchovies-and-egg combo goes for only 1.80 Malaysian ringgit ($0.45). Additional toppings are available.
Jin Hoe Cafe
Don’t be fooled by this weary-looking hole in the wall. When the clock inches towards 9am, a queue begins, and if you knew that food typically ran out within the hour, you’d be queuing too. Nasi lemak here runs Nyonya-style, with bitter-hot sambal belacan (a variation of the traditional spicy shrimp paste) and skinny shrimps still in their shells. An average dish costs RM5 ($1.25).
Projek Nasi lemak
Projek Nasi lemak was founded by an unnamed woman who sold her three-wheeled car in 1978 in order to begin her now-thriving business. Here, the Malaysian favourite is served with blue-tinged rice (possibly made with bunga telang, the Asian pigeonwings flower) and can be upgraded with a handsome side of lobster. It’s not cheap, but then again the best things rarely are.
Paya Terubong Nasi lemak
If there’s one thing you should know about Penangites and their food, it’s that they never queue for it. But when it comes to this particular family-run business in Paya Terubong, it appears that even Penang has to bend its rules. The queue begins as early as 4am and the stall sells out 800 packets before your “normal” breakfast time. Sambal is tangy and spicy, and the shrimps are crispy fresh.
In Malaysian slang, “alamak” isn’t usually a good thing but at Alamak the nasi lemak is so good it’s bad, which does a weird kind of justice to its name. This trendy mamak stall offers a modern burger spin on the farmer’s classic, with traditional sambal submerged under thick gooey cheese so divinely sinful you’d think “alamak!” just by looking at it. Its modest location may make it easy to miss though – just be sure to look for an alleyway sheltered by a makeshift roof and hemmed in on one side by an iron fence.
This shy stall on the busy intersection of Jalan Pasar serves two snacks that may change your life: a soft, warm, potato-based curry enveloped in a crispy, deep-fried pastry parcel (otherwise known as “curry puff”) and palm-sized, pre-portioned cocoons of nasi lemak. The latter opens up into a small pyramid of coconut-based rice with spicy sambal and can be yours for an easy RM2 ($0.50).
Nasi lemak Liverpool
Heaping portions of rice, sweet-ish sambal and sworn allegiance to the Liverpool football team – this could be your new home if you’re a fan of lemak and Liverpool, and would like to have them both at the same time. Beef rendang (cubes of beef stewed with coconut milk and assorted spices) and shrimp sambal (shrimps in their shells fried with sambal) are also available to help put the ‘oomph’ in your meal and your rallying cry for Mohamed Salah.
Intan Nasi lemak
The Free Schoolers (students from the nearby Penang Free School) are lucky, because this is what they get to eat on their doorstep. With a variety of curries and sambal dishes, you get to style up your nasi lemak with as much gastronomic pomp as your plate can take. Fried chicken, beef rendang and stir-fried greens are yours for the taking, typically for under RM15 ($3.75).
CJ Nasi lemak
Hidden by the river in Sungai Dua, this place is easy to miss if you’re not looking for it. But look for it you will, because the nasi lemak is a mouth-watering delight of fragrant rice topped with blackened fish, hard-boiled egg and fried chicken. The portions are your typical breakfast size (about the size of your palm), but every bite is saturated with flavour. Prices run from RM3 ($0.75).
Located in the touristy nucleus of George Town, Spicy lemak perfumes the air with delicious, strong wafts of its tri-coloured nasi lemak. This basic combo is a rainbow assortment of flavoured rice, cucumber slices, not-too-spicy sambal (in spite of the restaurant’s name), fried anchovies and peanuts. For a little extra, you could also go for the sambal-stuffed fish on the side.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.