Whether you’re looking to plug in your laptop and get some work done in a chic environment or while away the afternoon in a dedicated coffee-tasting session, Tokyo’s Ebisu neighbourhood has something for you.
Just one stop on the train from Shibuya lies Ebisu, the former’s classier, hipper older sister. By night, this area is filled with merrymaking salarymen enjoying the various bars and izakaya (Japanese pub). In the daylight hours, the discerning office workers and residents of this chic, upmarket neighbourhood require coffee and refreshment, and Ebisu delivers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With comfy sofas and aeroplane-style windows that provide views of incredible street art, Pile Café is so uncool it’s almost on-trend. Despite being located less than two minutes from Ebisu station, Pile has a cosy tucked-away feel, partly because it’s rather difficult to find. The pasta and the latte art are worth it, though.
If you’re looking for a more serene coffee experience, walk seven minutes from the station to a residential part of Ebisu. Here, you’ll find drip bar COFFEE AND CRAFTS, a creative hideaway where time moves slowly, and coffee is taken seriously. The proprietor typically writes six of the daily brews on the blackboard, in order of strength. For ¥1,000 (£6.82), you can order a “tasting set” in which you get two coffees of your choice to savour and compare (ask for nomi-kurabe). Upstairs is a charming gallery and shop, as well as the studio of a working jewellery maker.
Vegans and Muslims sometimes struggle to find good lunch options in Tokyo, but not so in Ebisu. Just off the main road, this young independent café has been turning the heads of Japanese food bloggers and the beauty community. Not only is the entirety of the menu halal and free from animal products, but it also favours organic ingredients with no chemical seasoning. Food is a mixture of salads and Asian-fusion cuisine, and the highlights of the drink offerings are the health teas and the smoothie of the day. Well-priced lunch sets make this a great choice for those on a budget.
Although Ebisu’s izakaya are traditional, many of its daytime cafés and restaurants tend towards a modern style. Those looking for a classic coffee shop where they can spend a relaxing few hours should head to Loger Café, where cosy leather sofas and standing lamps abound. Food is Western style, complete with excellent desserts, but Loger’s unique selling point has to be its adorable latte art, with cute bears, bunnies and cats available. In the evening, Loger functions as a laid-back bar.
Yebisu Garden Palace feels like stepping into a European fairytale tucked away in upscale Tokyo. At its centre is The Westin, an opulent luxury hotel. If staying in one of the plushy rooms is out of your reach this visit, the hotel’s lounge is open for discerning café hoppers. Enjoy English-style afternoon tea, complete with scones and cake, while you sink back into the luxurious Rococo decor. The Lounge also boasts views of The Westin Garden, with the gorgeous greenspace adding to the feel of tranquillity. It’s not cheap but still a perfect option for those looking to inject a little elegance into their lives.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.