A spectacular new attraction at Universal Studios Japan is set to finally open in 2021 in Osaka. Super Nintendo World will see real-life versions of popular games and characters delight visitors as the theme park launches just before the Tokyo Olympics.
The Olympics were postponed by a year during the outbreak of Covid-19; additionally the launch of Universal’s vivid new world at the Osaka theme park was also delayed. The immersive attraction is seen as a great way of bringing back visitors to the country after strict lockdown rules, and new images of the almost-completed Super Nintendo World have excited fans even more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The main star of the park will be a recreation of Mario Kart, a popular racing franchise on various Nintendo platforms that sees Mario, Luigi and friends battle it out around tricky racetracks. The games are some of the bestselling titles in the world, and fans have often dreamt about being able to race their own friends for real.
The Mario Kart rollercoaster is about as close as you can get to the experience these days, with each ride featuring kart style carriages enhanced by augmented reality (AR) eyewear. The fully immersive ride then sets off around an accurate recreation of Bowser’s Castle.
Some travellers might remember the Mario Kart races that took place on the streets of Tokyo, where riders were able to dress up as characters from the games and weave between other cars on public roads. This admittedly tempting experience has been dramatically stripped back, due to various copyright infringements, but at least we now have this new attraction to look forward to.
The new section of the park aims to combine modern technology with the classic Universal experience, in a variety of ways. Visitors will get to see the colourful cafés, rides and restaurants as they normally do, but they can also play Mario games with the aid of a Power-Up Band. This device seamlessly allows gamers to score points by tackling familiar tasks from a number of Nintendo titles.
Mario, a dungaree-wearing plumber, is the unlikely moustachioed mascot of the Japanese game company. Apart from a failed film incarnation in 1993, the character has an otherwise impeccable reputation in mass media. He’s arguably the best-known video game character of all time, and it only seems right that he now has a prominent place and permanent home in Osaka.
Like many places in Japan, Osaka, the second-largest city in the country, is popular in spring with visitors from around the world flocking to catch a glimpse of the beautiful cherryblossoms in bloom. However, tourism has been severely hit by the pandemic, with most international travel still restricted. Domestic tourism is set to be the first target market for the park, and it is hoped that overseas visitors will also be back by the time the Olympics roll into Tokyo in July 2021.
Osaka is one of the first destinations visitors head to after they’ve seen Tokyo. It’s considered a cheaper alternative to the capital, and you can easily travel between the two by jumping on the Shinkansen (bullet train). There are several departures every hour, so you can arrange last-minute trips if you’re not a planner. Flights and bus services also run this popular route, but are far less convenient that taking the train.
Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan in Osaka will now open on 4 February, 2021.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.