Many first-time Japan visitors will head straight to Tokyo and Kyoto, giving Osaka a wide berth – big mistake. This is a city that shows a completely different version of Japan – and there’s no better way to discover the nation’s eclectic side than by having these six unique experiences.
Osakans are known in Japan for being bold and brash. So much so that the local Kansai dialect has a term for it: itcho kami is the act of butting into someone’s business, whether it’s welcome or not. But it more generally describes the sense of community for which this warm and welcoming city is so well known.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The following experiences will help you delve beneath the surface of the city, bringing you closer to locals. From home-cooking with a mom to sharpening knives with an artisan, here are six uniquely Osakan experiences.
Join your host Yoshiko in her kitchen and learn to prepare four or five Japanese home-style dishes from scratch. Yoshiko will have you start by showing you how to make dashi stock, the Japanese foundation that most dishes are based on. You will learn how to use dashi instead of water when preparing Japanese cuisine to bring out the umami flavor of each dish. You can expect the cooking portion of your experience to last about an hour before you sit down to enjoy the meal you helped prepare. Yoshiko will also share printed recipes with you, so you can recreate the dishes you learned at home. This is a wonderful way to get a glimpse into the life of a Japanese local and experience the country’s culture and cuisine first-handPlease note: Guests can bring their own alcohol to enjoy with the meal.
Discover the ghetto, retro zone, yakuza, red-light district, illegal gambling dens and the intriguing neighbourhood alleys with Andy, your half-Japanese half-Australian tour guide.During the tour you’ll do some taste testing at two different street stalls. Then after we finish exploring, you’ll have the option to go to a local, traditional family restaurant.We strive to show you the authentic Osaka on this night tour, where you get a real and deep understanding of the inner workings of this amazing city visiting some architecture which is steeped in history & some run-down, derelict areas too… not what Osaka Tourism wants you to see!Get an inside look with Andy, who has extensive knowledge of the Osaka region and can answer all your queries on this walking tour.
This walking tour is about four hours in total, away from the hustle and bustle of the big city of Osaka. You can enjoy the seasonal nature while hiking. It is about 30 minutes from Osaka by the train on the Hankyu line. See Mount Minoo, a wide monumental park, and Mino Park, which has a beautiful waterfall that is known as one of the best waterfalls in Japan. Around the waterfall you can enjoy various sceneries throughout the four seasons from the fresh green in spring, up until the beautiful autumn leaves in autumn.Minoo Park was designated as a quasi-national park on December 11, 1967 as one of the Meiji 100th year commemorative project. A treasure trove of natural habitats of around 1,300 kinds of plants, 3,500 insects, a lot of wild birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles, fishes, etc surround the park. The Japanese salamander, the world’s largest amphibian, also inhabits the mountain area of Minoo.
Japanese sweets (wagashi) making and tea ceremony. You will make a Japanese confectionery and green tea. You can experience the tea ceremony with the confectionery you made.
Try Osaka’s “must-eat” street food, takoyaki: It’s a small rounded ball snack made of wheat flour-based batter with a piece of octopus inside. This takoyaki is originally from Osaka and that’s why we want you to try the best one.Have a taste of local favourite foods: This tour will be an excellent option for you if you would like to try different kinds of Japanese food in one place. The Kuromon Market has a history of more than 100 years and has more than 130 shops and stalls.Find unique Japanese kitchenware and tableware souvenirs: We’ll head to a street named Doguyasuji street. The street has contributed to ‘The Kitchen of the Nation’ by offering various kitchenware, tableware and cooking equipment not only for individuals, but also for professionals.Magical Trip is a local tour operator with the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence that offers various types of small-group tours throughout Japan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.