Though most people think of its namesake beef when it comes to Kobe, Japan, there’s a whole lot to love about this city beyond its famous steaks.
Kobe is a Japanese port city known around the world for its succulent kobe steaks. But if you came here just to eat the famous meat, you’d be missing out on a place filled with cultural wonders and a much deeper culinary cornucopia. Kobe has fabulous museums, natural springs, stunning vistas and loads of other local foods to tantalise all of your senses. So, hop into Kobe and see all the great things this city has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Go sake tasting (for free)
On the eastern side of Kobe in the Nada district, there are dozens of sake breweries that feature free tastings and interactive displays. Check out the HAKUTSURU brewery, which is the biggest sake factory in Japan and offers both pasteurised and unpasteurised tastings for free. Alternatively, visit the Kiku-Masamune Sake Brewery Museum, which has been run by the same family for more than 300 years and has a gift shop with incredible sips and sake-flavoured sweet buns that are simply incredible.
Visit an earthquake museum
The city of Kobe has quite a few museums that are worth your time. The first is the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake Memorial Museum, which walks visitors through the disaster of the 1995 earthquake that levelled Kobe and killed thousands of people. Another fascinating stop is at the Takenaka Carpentry Tools Museum, which opened in 1984; it takes guests through the fascinating history of carpentry in Japan. Finally, hit up the Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art for an unmatched collection of modern Japanese sculpture and prints, along with rotating collections and events throughout the year.
Eat local food at a farmer’s market
There’s way more to Kobe than its beef, and an array of local delicacies are available throughout the city. If you’re here on a Saturday, make it a point to hit up Eat Local Kobe, a farmer’s market with dozens of local vendors selling fresh seafood, produce and other goods.
One of the city’s speciality dishes is sobameshi, which is a mix of fried rice and fried noodles; it was first created at the Kobe restaurant Aomori back in 1957. If late-night snacks are more your thing, you can’t miss out on the perfect gyoza inside the local favourite, Hyōtan.
Go bathing in an onsen town
Ask around Kobe for the best natural hot springs, and they’ll point to Arima Onsen in the mountains. An approximate 15-minute cable-car ride can bring you to this quaint town that’s known for its charming Yumotozaka shopping street and local bathhouses where you can indulge in the timeless bathing rituals at an onsen. There are multiple onsen in the area that welcome guests; for example, there is Tosen Goshobo, which is a 12th-century ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) with soothing stone baths. You can also head to the largest bathhouse, Kin no Yu, with a mix of indoor and outdoor pools filled with healing, mineral water.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.