The paradise island of Bali offers endless activities and adventures for every tourist. However, it’s in the traditional rituals that the true essence of Bali’s rich culture lies. Discover the traditional Balinese rituals you should know about.
The majority of Balinese people are Hindus. They believe that the deceased should be cleansed by fire before being sent to the other side. This belief translates into a ceremony called ngaben, the cremation of the deceased during a special ritual on specific dates chosen by the elders. For the Balinese, this ceremony is considered a joyous occasion as families let their loved ones go to nirvana. Families aren’t even advised to cry at all.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kuningan, or Balinese new year, calls for one of the most festive celebrations on the island. Different localities observe this holiday differently. The people of Bongan village in Tabanan celebrate by making it rain money. The Balinese believe that ten days before the new year, their deceased ancestors visit the earth, and return on new year’s day. On the day the ancestors take their leave, the people of Bongan thoughtfully throw their money up in the air to provide for them, and as a way of giving thanks.
The teeth-cutting ceremony
This ceremony is performed when a Balinese reaches puberty. The teeth-cutting ceremony, or Mepandes, is conducted to eliminate common vices like greed, lust, anger, and jealousy. Boys and girls engage in a special religious rite before their front teeth are scraped by elders as a symbol of letting go of their harsh nature, concluding with a prayer to ask for blessings.
A religious/cultural tradition of self-harm or piercing is evident in many cultures in Indonesia. On Bali, the ritual is called ngurek. Although practiced by different cultures and religions, the rituals are based on the same principle of faith, and are seen as an extreme demonstration of total belief in God. Participants believe that God will protect them from harm, even if they attempt to pierce, stab, or otherwise hurt themselves. This ritual is often held in public places for other people to see.
The Melasti ceremony is held before the Balinese day of silence (Nyepi), when the locals refrain from any non-prayer activity, including working and cooking. The Melasti ceremony is an opportunity to cleanse the soul with water, so is conducted on beaches and lakes. It is elaborate and involves intricate steps and symbols, including dipping the body in the water while wearing a beautiful prayer outfit and praying.
This ritual is unique to the village of Trunyan in Bangli Regency, Bali. Instead of burying the deceased or cremating them, bodies are laid on the ground, surrounding a big tree in the village, followed by prayers and ceremonies. The centuries-old tradition can be seen in the piles of skulls and bones that surround the tree. Strangely enough, the area does not smell of decomposing bodies, as the enzymes from the tree and decomposing bodies mix together.
Also known as the “pandan leaves war”, this ritual from Tenganan village provides quite a show for curious tourists. Men gather to face each other in a war that uses thorny pandan leaves as weapons. This ritual is dedicated to the Lord Indra, the god of war in the Balinese belief system. After the battle, participants are treated and prayed for by elders so they don’t feel pain.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.