This tropical former trading port offers beachfront hotels, luxury-camping hideaways and jungle pavilions where you can soak up the natural beauty of the Riau Islands in Indonesia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The western Indonesian island of Bintan is a jungle-strewn, beach-brushed speck in the Riau Islands archipelago, a short hop from Malaysia and Singapore. Regal tombs and elegantly crumbling temples hide in tropical forests, while the high-end resorts of Lagoi in the north are perfect for kicking back and relaxing. Here’s our choice of Bintan’s finest hotels.
Nite & Day Laguna Bintan
There’s a cool, industrial look about Nite & Day, where whitewashed brick walls meet angular furniture and blocks of bright colour. The hotel’s biggest draw is its location, a short walk from the harbour in the centre of the city of Tanjung Pinang – capital of the Riau Islands. Head to the Museum of Sultan Sulaiman Badrul Alamsyah nearby to learn about Bintan Island’s rich cultural heritage, or stroll to the waterfront and take a boat to the historic fort island of Penyengat.
The Anmon Resoort Bintan
Boho chic is taken to new heights at the Anmon, a collection of deluxe tipis set in a sandy area of Bintan Island just inland from the beach. The look of the place might have you thinking you’re in the desert, but a long outdoor pool offers plenty of scope to cool off. This is also the spot for vibrant parties, outdoor movie nights on plush beanbags and the always-lively Tipi Bar – try the house daiquiri.
The Residence Bintan
With tiled pavilions set in thick jungle and overlooking the ocean, private plunge pools shaded by the trees and rooms decked out in rich teak and stone, The Residence is all about soaking up the tranquillity and tradition of the gorgeous Riau Islands. The stylish Rica Rica Restaurant is a must-visit for its Indonesian cuisine – try the spiny lobster salad – while the Ayurvedic treatments at the Ila Spa promise the height of relaxation.
Beanbag Bintan Backpacker
As the name suggests, the mood at Beanbag Bintan Backpacker is all about chilled-out relaxation and meeting like-minded travellers. You’ll stay in colourful dorms with wooden bunks and socialise in the laid-back lounge or at the outdoor beach bar. With a string of blissed-out bars and restaurants within walking distance, not to mention a beautiful sandy beach, this is a spot for supreme relaxation beside the South China Sea.
Angsana Resort & Spa Bintan
Emerging from a jungly headland on a northern spur of Bintan, Angsana Resort is hard to beat for natural beauty. The beauty within matches that outside, from the sleek, marble lobby to the contemporary Island Suites, which afford sweeping views over the South China Sea. Be sure to check out the Lotus Café for a range of international menus, from Indian delights like achari fish curry to Southeast Asian classics like beef rendang.
Club Med Bintan
Set in tropical gardens where monkeys hop among prickly pear trees, with a golden beach just beyond the hotel’s palm-lined outdoor pool, Club Med Bintan is an idyllic spot. Bedrooms have a stylish, minimalist aesthetic, while activities on offer include yoga, archery and even a circus school, where you can learn to juggle, trapeze and bounce on a trampoline under the watchful eye of expert trainers.
There’s no need to choose between a cozy glamping vibe and beachfront relaxation at Natra Bintan, where canvas-roofed tents with luxe interiors, including plush sofas, line a white-sand beach and the island’s Crystal Lagoon. Some tents offer ultimate relaxation in the form of outdoor whirlpool tubs and there’s the option of an in-suite massage to complete the treatments. Don’t miss the chance to explore an atmospheric private mangrove reserve on Bintan Island’s beautiful coastline.
Bintan Lagoon Resort
At Bintan Lagoon, the exclusive, luxe experience starts the minute you enter the island via a private ferry and head straight to the resort’s very own beach terminal. You will be greeted with an ocean view from the spacious resort and the long stretch of private beach with powder-soft sand and lush tropical vegetation all around. Guests can then proceed to the facilities or activities that suit them, whether it’s a rejuvenating spa, a game of golf, a massage by the beach, water sports, or chilling at one of the stylish bars.
Banyan Tree Bintan
Carrying the renowned Banyan Tree brand, this luxury hotel in Bintan fuses familiar splendour with fresh natural flair. Guests at Banyan Tree Bintan have the privilege of enjoying a calming lush jungle area and a private beach overlooking the South China Sea. They can also take full advantage of the property’s many luxuries — exclusive villas, relaxing spas, an expansive Championship golf course, yoga sessions, stunning pools lined with daybeds and numerous fun activities including trekking and water sports.
LooLa Adventure Resort
If it’s an adventure you crave, LooLa’s stunning resort complex is packed with ample facilities for endless fun. Owned by passionate couple Marc van Loo and Isabelle Lacoste (yes, Loo and La!), the establishment goes all-out in bringing you plenty of thrills. From sailing to raft building, village walks to a skywalk and even educational tours and team-building games, this resort is a popular choice among families, schools and companies. Built with adventure and a love for nature in mind, LooLa Adventure Resort was crowned World #1 Responsible Tourism operator in 2015.
The Sanchaya offers high-quality facilities and services during your stay at this resort. The majestic beachfront estate is surrounded by lush rainforests, leaning into both the beauty of nature and a luxurious vibe. Beyond that, each private villa is tastefully adorned with artwork and artefacts from local culture.
Trikora Beach Club and Resort
Nestled on the soft white sand of the famed Trikora Beach, this resort is blessed with one of the most exquisite sights on Bintan Island. The rustic, albeit modern bungalows sit almost face to face with the ocean whist the windy, calming ambience is perfect for a relaxed retreat where guests can go back to simple but comfortable living. When you’re feeling energetic, just book an outing to enjoy scuba diving, water sports or island-hopping.
More than just a place to stay, Treasure Bay is known for its coveted facilities and activities. One of those is its renowned Crystal Lagoon, Southeast Asia’s first and largest artificial seawater lagoon. The vast resort complex itself is still undergoing major renovations to become a stunning waterfront resort city. Some of the areas are already established, including the award-winning Chiva-Som, a health resort promoting wellness.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.