While it’s the second largest city in the country, Surabaya is an often overlooked destination. Here, you can experience authentic Indonesian culture. Foodies should make a beeline for Kartiko for the best local food. Alternatively, tour the House of Sampoerna, an unusually interesting cigarette factory. From heritage colonial hotels to luxury tropical resorts, discover the best hotels in Surabaya, Indonesia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Inspired by the comfort of a cocoon, the Kokoon Hotel Surabaya is all about creating an urban retreat for business and leisure travellers. Located within easy reach of the port and train station, the colonial decor is a nod to its past, when Surabaya’s Old Town was one of the busiest business districts during the Dutch era. It has been elevated with modern comforts, including spacious suites and a peaceful inner courtyard where you can relax by the pool.
PanaHouse Surabaya, a boutique guesthouse with a minimalist, modern design and an abundance of lush greenery, is ideal for travellers looking for a homely hideaway. You can grab breakfast, lunch, and dinner at restaurant Nangoma. If you’re craving a good cup of coffee, PanaHouse has you covered too with the finest ground beans at the cafe Kopi Kompleks.
Sheraton are known for their five-star service – and their Surabaya hotel is no different. Facilities include tennis courts, a spa and a palm-fringed outdoor pool, with Indonesian design features — you really will forget that you’re in a city. When it’s time to explore, many of Surabaya’s most famous sites are nearby, including Museum Surabaya and the towering Tugu Pahlawan monument, dedicated to Indonesian war veterans.
The Majapahit Hotel is a cultural and historical landmark in Surabaya. The telltale elegant colonial architecture dates back to 1910, a few decades before the country came to be. A stay at this lavish, intimate hotel will introduce you to an experience otherwise reserved for the ancient Javanese royals. Think marble and gold-plated bathrooms, and king-sized beds with views of the manicured garden. Even non-staying guests come for high tea – and a peek at the regal decor.
Located within the Ciputra World Mall, this hotel already boasts a prime city location – plus it offers access to the largest golf course in East Java and one of the biggest waterparks in south-east Asia. Start your day with a dip in the rooftop pool, overlooking Surabaya’s glittering cityscape or indulge in a Body Glow treatment at the in-house spa. Downstairs, the Gallery restaurant offers an extensive buffet breakfast from 6am for early risers.
For many locals and tourists, Java Paragon has become more than just a hotel – it’s an all-round lifestyle destination. There’s an extensive fitness centre and spa, plus an outdoor pool. Rooms vary from regular doubles to two- and three-bedroom apartments, perfect for an extended stay. Head up to the Skyclub Bistro and Bar for panoramic views of the city and rub shoulders with glamorous locals.
This stunning resort is in the heart of the city, but feels like a world of its own with lush tropical gardens, spacious outdoor sun terraces and a large L-shaped pool. A real draw here is the wellness facilities, which include a luxury spa, two whirlpools, a sauna and floodlit tennis courts. Foodies will appreciate Pasar, a street food style, open-air restaurant, serving up authentic Indonesian, Chinese and Japanese dishes in a leafy courtyard.
Vasa Surabaya is one of the most opulent hotels in the city. From its outdoor infinity pool to the onsite helipad, you can expect the very best treatment during your stay here. Book a suite on the 36th floor for the best city views – marble bathrooms, rain showers and cosy bathrobes come as standard here. There are also apartments available for larger groups, sleeping up to six people. For dinner, choose between Chinese cuisine at Xiang Fu Hai, a Brazilian steakhouse and an Indonesian buffet at 209 Dining.
Part of the JW Marriott luxury chain, this hotel in Surabaya carries its well-known brand quite satisfyingly. With tasteful design and excellent service, you can enjoy a five-star getaway here. The large, tropical swimming pool area, one of the hotel’s most-sought highlights, is lined with palm trees and a relaxed seating area. Key city highlights – such as the House of Sampoerna and Tugu Pahlawan – are just minutes away by car.
Sarah Gibbons contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.