Fashion has been one of Indonesia’s main industries, and the country owes much to these talented designers who go all-out in creating their exceptional work. From ethnic-inspired to more international designers, discover the best Indonesian fashion designers you should know.
The Jakarta-born fashion designer gained international recognition after appearing at Paris Couture Fashion Week in 2010. His label, Didit Hediprasetyo, is headquartered in Paris, but he still often incorporates traditional Indonesian fashion elements into his glamorous couture design. The designer also extends his tasteful lavish style to his collaboration with BMW as the second designer after Karl Lagerfeld to design the interior and exterior of a limited BMW series.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Since debuting in London in 2015, Anniesa Hasibuan has been proud to showcase her iconic work across the globe. She has a distinctive design style that embraces the modest Muslim-inspired clothing principles with graceful glamorous enhancements, making her work both much appreciated and criticized in the fashion landscape. She is the first person to feature hijab headscarves in every look at New York Fashion Week, which paves her way as an internationally-acclaimed fashion designer. She opened her first boutique in the upscale area of Kemang in Jakarta, Indonesia, and has since opened more stores in New York, Istanbul, and Malaysia.
The architecture and film graduate-turned-fashion designer first launched his couture brand in New York, named Kraton that means ‘palace’ in Indonesian. In addition to that, he also started a ready-to-wear fashion line in Jakarta in 2012. As a women’s fashion designer, Auguste Soesastro has a strong philosophy that places his brand against objectification of women. That view is evident in his elegant and sleek design, enabling women to move comfortably and accentuate the intellectual. He constantly features Indonesian design elements and materials that he sources locally, giving his design an authentic traditional feel to modern cuts.
Despite having to quit fashion school halfway due to the Indonesian monetary crisis in 1998, Oscar Lawalata’s diligence, hard work, and talent have enabled him to open his first boutique in Jakarta. His works have been displayed internationally, including the impressive modern batik collection he showed in Los Angeles in 2016. Even though he likes to incorporate traditional elements to fashion, Oscar Lawalata promises to keep it modern and elegant, and to create something people can wear proudly while still being cultural.
Sebastian Gunawan has traveled across the globe to study fashion but came back to Indonesia to establish his fashion house in 1993. Ever since, he has been awarded both nationally and internationally, known for his sparkly elegant evening gowns with extraordinary crystals, beads, and stones. The hauté couture designer has also successfully launch collections of bridal gowns and children clothes, also gleaming with shining embroideries.
Tex’s love for fashion has been shown since an early age. In fact, he left high school to study fashion in Jakarta. When he first debuted in Jakarta Fashion Week in 2012, his delicate avant-garde collection stole the hearts of many. His skill with intricate details has brought his work into the global entertainment scene. One of his most celebrated pieces is the iconic white bridal gown seen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
This architect-turned-designer founded Ikat Indonesia, a brand that brings the traditional ikat fabric of Indonesia to prestigious runways. An expert in making the best out of geometric patterns and structures, Didiet is able to create one-of-a-kind fashion pieces that gets him recognized by fashionistas and celebrities. His design was even used in one of the Grammy Awards 2016 goody bags.
Considered a senior fashion designer in Indonesia, Biyan has catered to many generation’s high-fashion needs. Known for his romantic but modern collections, his first fashion line BIYAN is still one of the most-sought fashion brands since its launch in 1984, when he first got back to Indonesia after studying fashion and working in Europe for 15 years. Throughout the years, the Surabaya-born fashion designer has kept on adding more impressive works including an urban streetwear line and bridal gown collections.
Peggy Hartanto’s works have been worn by international celebrities like Gigi Hadid, Kelly Cuoco, and Chloe Bridges. Her eponymous label has been hugely successful and influential, and has helped her to get onto the list of Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia. Known for her high-end but ready-to-wear brand, Peggy’s works often feature clean elegant lines and structures. She also believes that a fashion collection has to have a story and philosophy that makes it special —something she practices every time.
Windri Widiesta Dhari
Windri’s label, NurZahra, has collections of casual Muslim-inspired wear that charm fashionistas, Muslim or not. Upon leaving her General Manager position at a government-run institution to work in fashion, Windri has gathered design inspirations from all across the world. She often marries Indonesian traditional design elements with foreign techniques, creating distinctive designs with strong characteristics.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.