Keeping costs down comes easy in this scenic Keralan hill station, where the only thing that’s elevated are views of the Western Ghats – visible from many of these budget-friendly hotels. Here’s our pick of the bunch in Munnar – bookable with Culture Trip.
The scenic beauty of South India’s most important tea-growing region is all about its unspoilt natural spaces, spice-stitched plantations and rich wildlife. You’ll inevitably want to be out and about exploring the trails, forests and national parks, so save your travel funds by picking a budget-friendly accommodation, whether an always-reliable small Keralan chain hotel, a delightful country homestay or a backpacker-style guesthouse. Here are the best stays in Munnar for cost-conscious travellers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re on the hunt for a budget-friendly base that’s within a 10-minute walk of the Main Bazaar but still surrounded by greenery, this bright modern-build property in the eastern part of town ticks all the boxes. Suitably comfy rooms have filtered water, mini-fridges and colourful prints – just the ticket after a sunrise hike past misty tea estates or a South Indian cooking class with a local chef. It’s near the Munnar Rose Garden, along the road to the spectacular 1,880m (6,168ft) Top Station viewpoint.
Business-style comfort meets a warm, homely atmosphere at this well-dressed hotel in southern Munnar, where thoughtful details such as handmade soaps, filtered water and various community projects support sustainable local tourism. Rooms are soothingly adorned with rich woods and calming tones; some have views of the surrounding shola forest, the Western Ghats and the rushing Muthirapuzha River. Perks include cooking classes, a modern gym and a restaurant serving international and Indian cuisine.
A small-scale, long-established Keralan chain is behind this bright, smartish address in southern Munnar. It’s handy for transport links, the bazaar buzz and in-town restaurants and sights (such as the former Munnar train station). But you’ll want to venture out to hike, bike and visit tea estates, soul-stirring viewpoints and the wildlife-rich Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Eravikulam National Park. Go for a valley-view room to take in those glorious emerald-green tea plantations.
Sitting on a low-rise hill in the thick of Munnar town, the Issacs Residency has an excellent and convenient location. There are many thoughtful touches to this well-established mid-range hotel, such as neatly tended flower gardens lining the driveway, Ayurvedic massages on request and black-and-white South Indian temple photos in the restaurant. Rooms are cosily decorated in earthy-red and terracotta tones and have desks and kettles; book one with views across the gorgeously green hills.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels in Munnar and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.