On October 19, 2016, members of China’s prestigious Peking University prevented Buddhist followers from releasing some 500 turtles into a campus lake. The Buddhist practice of live release, also known as Fang Sheng, is an increasing cause of concern due to the ritual’s potentially damaging effect on Chinese ecosystems. Here are the five basic facts you should know about this Buddhist custom.
It’s an ancient tradition believed to increase one’s karma
In Chinese Buddhism, the tradition of Fang Sheng traces its origins back to at least the sixth century, when monks organized for worshipers to release fish and tortoises into temple ponds. Chinese Buddhists believe that the compassionate act of releasing captive animals will cleanse one’s sins and bring good karma.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
During the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s and ’70s under Mao Zedong, Fang Sheng fell out of favor because it was seen as an outdated superstition. However, in recent years, the tradition has seen a resurgence, especially among younger generations.
Millions of animals are set free each year
According to official estimates, around 200 million animals are ‘liberated’ in China each year. The animals released include fish, turtles, snakes, birds and even insects.
A video posted by Erlin Rahayu (@erlinrahayu211) on Sep 18, 2016 at 1:46am PDT
A video posted by Ethan Tsang-冠澎 (@ethantsang__) on Sep 15, 2016 at 4:42am PDT
Foreign species can wreak havoc on local ecosystems
The introduction of invasive species can seriously disrupt existing ecological food chains, causing local populations to plummet. In other cases, the newly introduced species are unable to adapt to their new environment and quickly die after release.
For instance, in Hong Kong, where 20 percent of the population is Buddhist, Fang Sheng practitioners often release fish and clams into Victoria Harbor, including the horseshoe crab, which is normally found in the local waters off the coast of Lamma Island and Lantau Island. When they’re released into the muddy and polluted waters of Victoria Harbor, they quickly die, unable to survive in their new environment. Conservationists worry that the ritual is putting already-threatened species at risk.
Released snakes can infest villages
In China, it’s common for urban dwellers to travel to the countryside to release animals and then leave. Snakes are a popular choice; seeing as they are considered evil creatures in Chinese culture, their release is believed to confer an extra karmic boost. Consequently, villages in the provinces of Hebei and Liaoning have been terrorized by snake infestations in recent years, as the serpents found their way into villagers’ homes and caused at least one reported death.
It supports illegal poaching
Despite their good intentions, Fang Sheng practitioners are inadvertently supporting a booming, illegal wildlife trade, causing wild animals to be captured specifically for the purpose of then being released.
Poachers set up untold thousands of nets and traps in the wild, despite laws against illegal hunting, with around half of all captured birds dying in transit due to disease or mishandling. Sometimes, rare species near extinction also end up getting caught.
Activist groups point out that, clearly, Fang Sheng is causing much more animal suffering than it prevents, undermining the original point of the ritual.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.