Famous street artists from all over the world have come to Shanghai to decorate its roads and alleyways. Today, the city is awash with colour.
Shanghai’s local street art scene has been steadily gaining traction for years. Now that the city recognises the economic and tourism potential of street art, the quality and quantity of pieces on show have exploded. Artists from Brazil, France, Malaysia and beyond have flocked to Shanghai to colour its walls with mesmerising murals, transforming its streets and adding an electric vibrancy to this concrete jungle.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Millo is a legendary Italian graffiti artist who is often commissioned to create epic murals in big cities all around the world. In 2017 he revealed Twist of Fate in Shanghai’s Yangpu District, a black and white cityscape in simple block lines. In the artwork’s foreground are several gigantic green water lilies, as tall as the city. Nestled among the fronds are two children helping each other to discover a sleeping red dragon. The mural is all about curiosity and taking the time to explore the world around you, apt in a city with so much to discover around every corner.
Julien ‘Seth’ Malland is a French artist who has been travelling the world and painting street art everywhere from Latin America to rural China. Many of his pieces can be found in the backstreets of Shanghai’s Puxi District, known for its old architecture, bustling streets and winding alleyways. Most of the artworks depict children at play, making music and having adventures. His Shanghai street art has become so popular that an exhibit of his work, Like Child’s Play, ran for three weeks in 2018 at Shanghai’s Museum of Contemporary Art.
Moganshan Lu is a long and winding road in Shanghai that is well known for the graffiti-covered wall that stretches from its beginning to end. Many of Shanghai’s street artists use this wall as a canvas to express themselves and practise their art. The wall is crumbling and shows signs of deterioration, but the art has sustained well and is frequently photographed by art lovers. As time goes by, the art is painted over and removed by officials, but it always comes back in new forms. It’s a fascinating sight to behold, and worth multiple visits as the wall changes and evolves.
Kenji Chai is a Malaysian graffiti artist known for his vibrant pastel-coloured depictions of people, animals and nature. One of his biggest creations can be found in Shanghai’s Jing’an District. The Numen of the Spiritual Homeland depicts a woman dressed in a Chinese qipao dress. On top of her head rests a bonsai tree, a Japanese crane and flying koi fish. It’s a gorgeous sight that is well worth seeking out to enjoy in person.
Sipros is a world-renowned Brazilian street artist known for drawing human caricatures with highly detailed faces and big ears. One such iconic piece can be found in Shanghai’s Lujiazui District in Pudong. Infinite Love covers the entire wall of an apartment building, showing a young boy in a cute bear hat surrounded by floating rainbow love hearts. The charming mural is intended to bring a smile to the face of every passerby.
Shanghai native Sheep Chen is often found travelling the world, spreading joy with his street art. One of his finest works is a 2018 mural found on Ji Mo Road, depicting a young girl hugging a rabbit. When the sun shines, the piece takes on a mystical shimmer. Look closely and you’ll notice little background and foreground touches of mountains and floating flowers.
Another notable Pudong work is New Thoughts on Environment by the artist Ozmo. The work shows a silhouette of a boy, his head filled with an intricate image of an old clipper ship on the waves as dolphins swim beneath. It is intended to inspire children to have a greater curiosity about the ocean.
Lujiazui, otherwise known as the financial centre of Shanghai, has received a colourful makeover recently, with more and more street art popping up. Artist Animalitoland’s Bears of Pudong is awash with gorgeous autumn and winter tones that break up the area’s steely exterior. A mother bear and her cub embrace in front of a sun-drenched landscape. The piece stirs up emotions of familial love and calls out to the natural world.
Daxue Lu is a bright and welcoming Shanghai street filled with restaurants and markets. Venture a little off the beaten path and you’ll find its quieter areas have been brightened up with a number of street art gems. Park scenes and colourful portraits of young ladies adorn the older parts of Daxue Lu, adding a splash of colour and flair to the area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.