From Argentina to Zimbabwe, Sanlitun in Beijing is the cosmopolitan hub where you’ll find an array of embassies, and where embassies gather, lively bars follow suit. Embrace the international spirit as we take you on a bar-hopping journey through the best watering holes in Sanlitun. Whether you’re in the mood for a Colombian cocktail, a British beer, or a Chinese chocolate Martini, these bars have something for every palate. Get ready to enjoy a multicultural experience that pairs global flavors with vibrant nightlife. So, raise your glass and savor the best of Sanlitun’s bar scene, where every sip is a toast to the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Janes and Hooch
Speakeasy-style cocktail joints are springing up all over Beijing, but this one is an institution. The decor – the wall of liquor bottles behind the bar, the polished concrete and exposed brick, a moody candlelit atmosphere and comfy leather booths – tells you everything you need to know about Janes and Hooch. All in all, it’s the perfect setting in which to sip on an old fashioned.
Slow Boat Sanlitun Brewpub
Beijing’s craft-beer scene is exploding, and this ultra-modern brewpub is an exciting new addition. Opening its doors on South Sanlitun Road in late 2016, Slow Boat has three industrial-chic storeys packed full of beer drinkers working their way through the ever-rotating roster of craft beers sourced from domestic and international brewers. The pub-grub menu is also a massive crowd-pleaser.
The glitzy nightclubs surrounding the Workers’ Stadium – or Gongti to the locals – can be hit and miss, but Elements always delivers a great night out. Pouring cheaper drinks than many of Sanlitun’s more upscale clubs, Elements attracts a lively crowd who flock to the dance floor to experience some of the biggest DJs and EDM stars from around China and across the globe.
Mesh might be a hotel bar, but it’s anything but boring. Part of the futuristic Opposite House hotel, it is a chic lounge where Sanlitun socialites come to see and be seen, especially on sunny summer days when the leafy outdoor patio is crowded with glamorous clientele. Mesh’s extensive wine list is also one of the best you’ll find anywhere in the Chinese capital.
The team at Latin American restaurant Mosto transformed one of its old storerooms into a bar in 2016, adding a splash of Colombian spice to this popular part of Nali Patio. You’ll always find a fiesta at La Social’s colourful 40-seat space, which combines South American murals on the walls, cocktails flowing behind the bar and Colombian fare coming out of the kitchen.
Velvet by Verde
Another Nali Patio favourite, Velvet by Verde serves fruity cocktails that go down a treat with the menu of warm and cold tapas. Velvet pioneers ‘gastrobotany’ in China, cooking with plants that you wouldn’t normally expect to find on a menu, but sticks to more familiar ingredients when it comes to the drinks list – the watermelon cocktail is the house specialty.
This lounge bar specialises in beer and whiskey – and lots of it. Situated inside the opulent InterContinental hotel, Top Bar prides itself on a long list of brews and malts from every corner of the globe. The venue supplies a suitably stylish setting to enjoy your tipple, with a spacious outdoor terrace overlooking the streets of Sanlitun below.
This tiny cocktail joint stands out from the many other swanky speakeasies in Sanlitun thanks to the service from the talented team behind the bar. After you’ve made your way through the secret entrance in fellow cocktail bar D Lounge, ask the bartenders what they can whip up for you; Infusion Room doesn’t have an official drinks menu, but the renowned mixologists can create intoxicating concoctions depending on your tastes.
Sitting on the fifth floor of the Topwin Centre, Unico is a modern gastrolounge that gazes out over Sanlitun through its huge floor-to-ceiling windows. The space is spacious and stylish, the food and drink menu is one of the most luxurious in the neighbourhood and there’s a little added extra on top… literally. The Roof is one of Beijing’s hottest rooftop bars, serving cocktails and oysters with a view to match.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.