With picturesque streets, cobbled courtyards and European-style villas, the Former French Concession in Shanghai is a blend of cultures. The area provides a welcome retreat from the bustle of the city centre – and away from the tourist crowds visiting the Bund or the Oriental Pearl Tower. Choices range from five-star spa retreats to traditional villas and budget-friendly Shanghai bed and breakfasts, so there are plenty of accommodation options. Here’s our round-up of the best hotels in the area – bookable on Culture Trip.
At the Ascott Heng Shan Shanghai, a living bamboo tunnel and ponds reflecting the surrounding greenery contribute to the feeling that you have stumbled upon an oasis of tranquillity amid the bustle of one of the most prominent cities in China. A mosaic-inlaid, columned indoor pool and jacuzzi add to that impression, as does the location on a tree-lined street in one of the historical neighbourhoods of the city. The contemporary, well-equipped apartments are ideal for extended stays.
Heavy wooden doors swing open and you are ushered into a greenery-bedecked urban sanctuary comprising a trio of the last remaining shikumen townhouses in the city – an architectural melange of Chinese and Western elements dating back to the heyday of the city in the 1930s. This historical hotel combines a pared-back aesthetic with French-accented furniture; the French theme continues at the on-site restaurant, where three-Michelin-starred chef Pierre Gagnaire presides over a reimagined menu of traditional French classics.
With its location in the Jing’an Temple area allowing easy access to high-end boutique-hopping along the main shopping streets, Huaihai Rd and West Nanjing Road, not to mention the Bund and its waterfront promenade, this Shanghai hotel is all about convenience. Fitness fiends keen to keep fit on holiday will appreciate the on-site squash court, tennis court and pool, and if you’re feeling hungry, there’s a choice of sophisticated cuisine available from all over China, as well as cakes and other treats.
This gleaming glass skyscraper reaches skywards among a cluster of shopping malls, and is handily located near the railway station and a short walk from the arty enclave of Tianzifang and the shops and restaurants of the Needle General Yard repurposed factory. Floor-to-ceiling windows in all the rooms frame city views, and you can enjoy those same views from the on-site fitness centre and swimming pool.
The five-star Langham is found next to Huaihai Road, one of the main shopping streets, and a minute from South Huangpi Road subway station, so it couldn’t be a more perfect base from which to explore the city. Home to a 24-hour fitness centre, a two-Michelin-starred restaurant – T’ang Court, serving Cantonese delicacies – and 357 contemporary guest rooms, all with spectacular floor-to-ceiling windows, this hotel has everything you could want from a Shanghai hotel.
If you’re looking for something with more of the traditional feel of the Former French Concession, Moller Villa is a perfect choice. It’s only five minutes from the lively Xintiandi area, but its large gardens and Norwegian-style architecture provide an undeniable air of serenity. The majestic three-storey villa dates back over 70 years, and is just a 10-minute walk from West Nanjing Road subway station.
Just a short stroll from Jing’an Temple and the major shopping area of Nanjing Road, the PuLi Hotel and Spa is a truly modern luxury spa resort. Highlights include the state-of-the-art UR SPA, equipped with a stunning infinity pool overlooking Jing’an Park and offering a whole host of treatments including traditional Chinese massage, anti-pollution treatments and golden body masks. Rooms and suites come with all the amenities you’d expect from a hotel of this stature – flat-screen TVs, Bose speakers, Nespresso coffee machines and giant bathtubs that overlook the skyline.
Georgia Platman contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.