Shanghai may have just entered the Michelin Guide game, but it has spent years developing its status as a world-class culinary city. But forget about the fine dining for a moment. Let’s focus on fun dining. From themed cafes to creepy crawly cuisine, here are 12 places to get a unique dining experience in Shanghai.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Zhenru Lamb Meat Restaurant
Zhenru Lamb Meat Restaurant spares no part of the animal. Timid eaters can enjoy a tame bowl of lamb meat soup, but those looking for a truly unique culinary experience can try adventurous fare like lamb testicle, lamb liver, lamb lung, lamb trotters, and even lamb penis. Nothing is off limits here.
Ultraviolet is not only the most unique dining experience in Shanghai, it may very well be the most unique dining experience the world over. This high-concept restaurant admits only ten guests each night for a multi-sensory dining experience that combines sight, sound, and smell with taste. Creator Paul Pairet has artfully engineered every second of the dinner to make sure that the food tastes as good as it possibly can.
Hello Kitty Bistro Bianco
Shanghai wouldn’t be Shanghai without a handful of cutesy themed cafes. The latest, and perhaps most popular, to hit the city is dedicated to the Sanrio-brand global sensation Hello Kitty. At Bistro Bianco you will find the little cat girl’s biggest fans, as well as her likeness on everything from the mugs to tiramisu.
You’ve heard of cat cafes, but what about dog cafes? Tucked away in an old slaughterhouse turned creative space is Canil dog cafe. For a minimum spend of RMB50 ($7), you get to hang out with the happiest little four legged employees, who absolutely don’t get tired of all the attention.
Hai Di Lao
Sichuanese hotpot has all but become synonymous with Hai Di Lao, the popular chain that has spread all around the world. What makes it such a unique dining experience isn’t so much the food but the service. As soon as you step in the door, you will be waited on hand and foot, from the optional manicure and massage service while you wait for your table to the hot towels that are passed around every few minutes.
More Than Toilet
Welcome to More Than Toilet restaurant, where crap food doesn’t have to taste bad! The concept of a toilet-themed restaurant originated in Taiwan, but has since become popular throughout Asia. Shanghai’s More Than Toilet serves up standard Chinese cafe fare like pizza and pasta and specializes in squat potty bowls full of poop-shaped ice cream.
Pyongyang Koryo is as close to North Korea as you can get without actually going to North Korea. The food is surprisingly delicious, and the waitstaff is made up entirely of beautiful North Korean woman, who play double duty to put on a nightly 7 o’clock performance. The experience is bizarre, to say the least, and an absolute must-do in Shanghai.
The Ramen Vending Machine
Okay, so Shanghai’s ramen vending machine is less of a dining experience and more of a kitschy grab-and-go situation, but it certainly is unique. Shanghai has its fair share of bizarre vending machines: medicine, orange juice, sex toys, produce. This one is located in the basement of the mall next to Jing’an Temple.
Lotus Eatery brings the diverse cuisines of southern China’s Yunnan province to Shanghai. Dip your toes in the culinary waters with fried goat cheese, then dive all the way in and snack on a plate of crunchy fried bugs. Or, try the cured yak meat with mint leaves. Any way you go, you’re bound to get a top notch meal.
The Muslim Market
The Muslim Market is one of Shanghai’s hidden gems. Every Friday afternoon before services at the nearby Huxi Mosque, local Uyghur Muslims gather to share the most flavorful halal treats with the city. From high quality lamb kebabs to milky layer cakes, there’s nothing that won’t please the taste buds here. And if you’re in the market for an entire lamb carcass, they sell those too.
Golden Dragon Snake Cuisine
Golden Dragon is not your average hotpot restaurant. Instead of bringing out plates of raw lamb or beef, Golden Dragon dishes out plates of raw snake. You then get to cook it yourself in snake broth mixed with snake blood and bile. Many cultures believe in the restorative powers of these ingredients, so though you may wince at the thought of them, but they might just do you good.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.