You’ll see more buffaloes than backpackers in sleepy Battambang. But travellers are starting to arrive – stopping over for a night or two between the Thai border to the west and Angkor to the east. They come for the tranquil rural vibe, for the clusters of crumbling French colonial buildings overlooking the languid Sangker River, the ruined Khmer temples scattered in the surrounding countryside and the thrilling Norry rides on the makeshift-trolley trains of the Khmer Rouge-era Bamboo railway. Here they are: the best hotels in Battambang, Cambodia.
With a lemon-yellow façade, white shuttered windows, Mediterranean floor-tiles and art deco furnishings in the rooms, La Villa feels like a Provençale mansion transported to a new tropical environment. The rooms to book are the first-floor suites, with balconies overlooking the Sangker River. It’s an idyllic view. At the rear of the villa, under a glass roof with a turn-of-the-20th-century design, is the restaurant: an idyllic retreat for both European and Asian cuisine.
You check in here for bright, modern rooms with large French windows over a tropical garden; also popular is the resort’s big, saltwater pool with jacuzzis; and there’s one of Battambang’s best hotel restaurants (with its own kitchen-garden). With a tranquil setting among the rice paddies. There’s plenty to like about the Battambang resort, but don’t be tempted to walk into town – it’s a dusty 40-minute hike on a dirt road, which is poorly lit (and stalked by stray dogs) at night. Get them to book you a tuk-tuk instead.
A big shout-out to the rooms first. Brilliantly whitewashed, with subtle fawn floor-tiles and dark woods, they’re pleasantly spartan sitting over an attractive pool, decorated with Khmer Buddha faces and surrounded by lush foliage. Because the villa is right in the heart of Battambang town, when you wake at dawn you can step out to see ranks of orange-robed monks in the street outside, receiving alms from locals. It’s a magical Instagram-worthy sight.
Two blocks from the Sangker river and a 10-minute walk from central Battambang, the Pomme is buzzy with life passing through. Settle in and you’ll discover it’s the place to meet fellow budget travellers. Guests sleep comfortably in simple rooms over a lively pub-restaurant serving Khmer amok curries, burgers and pasta, cold beer and (you have been warned) strong cocktails. Hearteningly for those who hang around, there’s live music at weekends.
Keeping its reputation as one of Battambang’s top boutique hotels, this stylish offering is situated slightly out of town, making the province’s stunning countryside all the more accessible. It boasts 16 guest rooms, a restaurant and bar, outdoor pool, tropical gardens and free wifi.
With 12 guest rooms, this intimate hotel boasts a restaurant and bar area, outdoor pool, babysitting services, a spa and business centre and free continental breakfast. Nestled on the outskirts of town, a free shuttle bus is available for guests.
If it’s bang for your buck that you’re after, then Ramchang Guesthouse fits the bill. The clean and contemporary 20 rooms span double offerings through to spacious family rooms. There is also an outdoor pool, luggage storage and free wifi and parking. All rooms feature a private bathroom and cable TV.
This hotel is essentially a beautiful collection of 10 traditional wooden Khmer houses and traditionally decorated rooms dotted throughout lush, tropical gardens. A restaurant and bar is onsite, as well as an outdoor pool, business centre and terrace. Free tea and coffee is served in the common area, with in-room childcare available at an additional cost. Try the spa for a relaxing Khmer massage between sightseeing.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Marissa Carruthers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.