These affordable places to stay in one of Asia’s most budget-friendly cities, Phnom Penh, set you up in decked-out dorms with a side serving of rooftop bars, pools and sunset barbecue nights – and they’re bookable on Culture Trip.
When it comes to backpacker-friendly cities, Phnom Penh ticks all the boxes. Be it tucking into delicious street food, exploring local markets or checking out historic cultural sights, it’s possible to live it up in the Cambodian capital without breaking the bank. You’ll also find plenty of hostels throughout the city that cater to backpackers on a budget. Here are the best hostels in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re looking for a social and community-minded stay, Mad Monkey is the place for you. The hostel organises a range of activities for its guests to come together and explore the city, including sunset riverside tours, pub crawls and a cruise along the Mekong River. The shared and private rooms are clean, cosy and colourful, and you’ll also find a swimming pool, restaurant and rooftop bar that offers weekly sunset barbecues.
Backpackers who prefer a more chilled, laid-back atmosphere can make a beeline for this hostel. Take your pick from dorm-style or private rooms, which come minimally furnished with contemporary design cues. There’s a rooftop bar and restaurant for those who prefer to dine in, and the hostel also provides bikes for exploring the nearby Independence Monument and Wat Langka temple.
Located in the bustling BKK1 neighbourhood, this clean and cosy spot is ideal for those who want a quiet space to return to after an action-packed day of sightseeing. As only private rooms are offered (with space for up to three guests in some rooms), it’s a popular option among guests who are willing to spend a little more for a space of their own. Treat yourself to a traditional Thai massage at the on-site spa, then head out for dinner at one of the many excellent Cambodian restaurants nearby.
Popular among solo backpackers, this no-frills hostel offers compact rooms equipped with all the essentials. Rooms are clean and minimally decorated, with dorms featuring bunk beds and colourful murals. As far as sightseeing goes, Stay Inn Hostel is located just around the corner from the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and is also within walking distance of the Tuol Tom Pong Market.
For the quintessential backpacker experience, you can’t go wrong with B52 Hostel in Phnom Penh. It’s smack-bang in the heart of the action, with exciting bars, restaurants and cafes in the immediate vicinity. Rooms come in dorm and private configurations, all fully air-conditioned. The hostel offers a bike rental service for guests and also includes a restaurant where you can tuck into local and international grub.
Most hostels don’t come with an on-site swimming pool – but this one does. Located within a large villa, this self-dubbed party hostel is perfect for those who want a lively and sociable stay. Besides the expansive swimming pool, there’s that all-important bar, plus a restaurant and pool table. Dorms are rather roomy, set up in a mix of bunk beds and singles.
This charming hostel with shared dorms and female-only rooms best suits solo travellers looking for a budget-friendly stay. You can choose to grab a meal at the on-site restaurant and bar, or opt to explore the area’s many food options. Avid sightseers will be glad to know that it’s located near prime attractions, including the Royal Palace, National Museum of Cambodia and Kandal Market with its street-food stalls.
Situated on a quiet street in the heart of the city, this bright and funky hostel gets its name from the Khmer word for betel nut. It offers a range of contemporary shared and private rooms – all equipped with windows that let in plenty of natural light and fresh air. The hostel also takes being green seriously: water is heated using solar power, rooms are equipped with energy-saving lights and you’ll find plenty of oxygen-filtering indoor plants scattered throughout the property.
Be a true backpacker and head north to the best hostels in Siem Reap, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.