From mountains to national parks, hot springs, crater lakes, and everything in between, we’ve rounded up 20 attractions you should definitely check out while in Uganda.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This beautiful snow-capped range of mountains is mountaineering destination. Its unique flora gives travelers a semblance of a fairy tale hiking scene.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is home to over 400 mountain gorillas, the highest population in the world, making it a bucket list item for a once-in-a-lifetime gorilla tracking experience.
Kampala is also known as East Africa’s nightlife capital.
This is the Kabaka, the King of Buganda‘s palace. Built in 1885, the Twekobe is a symbol of Buganda Kingdom’s past power and glory.
Kidepo Valley National Park
Kidepo Valley National Park is Uganda’s most remote national park located in the semi-arid valleys bordering Sudan and Kenya. Go off the beaten track and discover the best of Africa’s wilderness.
The perfect place for those that find serenity in looking at the water, enjoy boat cruises and fishing excursions, and want to catch the sun drown into the vast water body.
Gaddafi National Mosque
Gaddafi National Mosque is the biggest mosque in Uganda. Take in Kampala in a 360-degree view from the mosque’s skyscraper tower.
Queen Elizabeth National Park
Queen Elizabeth National Park, boasts of a high biodiversity rate, and has stunning landscapes, fauna, and flora. This is bound to give you a safari of your lifetime!
Namirembe Cathedral is an impressive, domed Anglican cathedral that is also known as St. Paul’s Cathedral. It’s the oldest cathedral in Uganda.
Mount Elgon National Park
Mount Elgon has the largest caldera in the world, resulting in some of the most unique vegetation you will ever see on a hike.
The River Nile established Jinja into East Africa’s adventure with activities such as white water rafting, bungee jumping, tubing, sunset cruises and so much more.
Rubaga Cathedral, also known as St. Mary’s Sacred Heart Cathedral Rubaga, is a twin-towered Roman Catholic cathedral perched on one of the seven hills of Kampala.
Kasubi Tombs is the burial site of four of Buganda’s past Kabakas. Make a stop here to learn the rich history of this great Kingdom.
Semuliki National Park
Explore this steamy jungle and its intriguing wildlife. Semuliki National Park is famed for its hot springs, which are used for traditional rituals by the locals in the community.
Lake Bunyonyi, “a place of small birds,” is one of the loveliest lakes you will ever see. It’s studded with 29 islands.
The crater lakes paint a dramatic landscape ideal for long walks, cycling, and definitely, Instagram ops.
Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
The Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary has grown into a popular tourist attraction for its rhinos in the wild.
Uganda Martyrs’ Catholic Shrine Namugongo
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.