Many people think of Africa solely as a wildlife safari destination, but there is a lesser-known experience that doesn’t feature elephants, lions or giraffes. It’s time to discover Mafia Island. Just off the coast of mainland Tanzania, this location is home to seemingly endless underwater mysteries.
Mafia is the largest island within the Zanzibar Archipelago (which also includes Pemba, Unguja and Latham Island), and offers much more than just a beach to laze upon. Instead, visitors have the opportunity explore the depths of the largest marine protected area in the Indian Ocean: Mafia Island Marine Park.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mafia has managed to captivate the imagination of divers since pioneers at the Mafia Island Diving organisation unveiled Tanzania’s deep-sea utopia to the masses in 2005.
Over the past decade, avid sporting divers have explored its diverse reefs and abundant marine life in increasing numbers. Most forms of tropical marine environments, including exposed-fringing reefs, soft corals and colourfully decorated towering rock cliffs, are located here.
This little-known paradise is also one of only a handful of spots on the globe where divers can witness whale-shark migration. These gentle giants can measure up to 20 metres (66 foot) in length, and are found in the waters off Mafia Island. The best time to visit in order to snorkel with these incredible creatures is between September and February, with over 100 whale sharks regularly swimming close to the coast during these months.
However, whale sharks are not the only species to be found around Mafia Island. With 30 dive sites (and counting), there is the opportunity to see over 380 species of exotic fish. Just like a safari, you could almost lose count of the exciting wildlife, with moray eels, octopi and giant reef rays being common sightings throughout Mafia’s underwater world.
The bay surrounding Mafia Island is the ultimate example of what a healthy reef should look like, with its large, mural-like walls of coral, and its diverse range of marine wildlife. For an underwater experience like no other, visit Nudi City. This shallow dive is home to a bounty of rare creatures, including its multi-coloured namesake, nudibranchs, elegant seahorses, and leopard flounders.
With breathtaking views of endangered species such as sea turtles and hippos, Mafia really is a haven for eco-tourism lovers.
On top of this, flying into Mafia is a treat in itself! The journey getting there doubles as a scenic tour over the stunning coastline of Tanzania – without the hefty price tag. The island is a comfortably short 45-minute flight by charter airline from Dar Es Salaam.
Finding accommodation on the island is easy, with Mafia Island Lodge providing a dreamy beachside location, an open-air lounge, lush tropical gardens and a range of dining options including freshly caught seafood and local meals. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a lazy afternoon after a morning in the water.
Despite the abundance of underwater riches, only a relatively small number of visitors venture to this deep-sea paradise, with arrivals estimated at 10,000 a year. Mafia Island has gone to great lengths to preserve its unique underwater ecosystem, with the marine park charging guests a daily US$20 entry fee to fund conservation projects across the country.
That’s small change for a priceless experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.