Johannesburg – South Africa’s biggest city – is home to numerous historical sites, including the Apartheid Museum and Nelson Mandela’s former residence. Plus, it’s a great city to stay in if you want a once-in-a-lifetime safari experience. Culture Trip curates six things to do in and around the city that put a twist on the classics.
Offering a history lesson on the black South Africans against apartheid movement, a visit to Nelson Mandela’s former residence in Soweto should be on every visitor’s Johannesburg itinerary. But instead of taking a walking tour, why not opt for a four-hour bike tour that passes a squatter camp, or perhaps an experience that includes lunch with the locals?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Another must-visit is the UNESCO-listed Cradle of Humankind, which is recognised as the world’s richest hominin site. Instead of visiting the site on foot, we suggest taking a hot-air balloon ride for aerial views of both the site itself and the Magaliesberg mountain range.
This tour will let you experience day-to-day life in the township, from the first people living in Soweto up to today’s flamboyant five-star Soweto Hotel. You will visit a squatter camp and Regina Mundi church, see Nelson Mandela’s house and hear stories about the struggle by black South Africans against apartheid. You also experience ‘the better life for all South Africans’ starting after the first free elections in 1994.
Visit the world-renowned Cradle of Humankind. You will experience the Sterkfontein Caves and Maropeng exhibition centre on this 8-hour adventure. Spend an hour on a guided tour in the underground Sterkfontein caves. This is the site where Mrs Ples, a 2.3-million-year-old hominid, was discovered. Also the site for Little Foot! Learn about local history as you discover why the UNESCO-listed Maropeng is called the Cradle of Humankind. On this tour you also get to experience a Lion Safari and local wildlife from the back of an open truck.
Our tours are run by well-experienced and well-trained tourist guides who are registered with the accredited authority (THETA) – tourism, hospitality, sports, education and training authority.Our guides are knowledgeable, love working with people and are welcoming.
A private tour that is more welcoming, full of interesting facts about the history and culture of South Africa. Get the firsthand experience from the guide who born and groomed in Soweto. The package include a much-needed and highly recommended local lunch in Soweto.
After collecting you from your hotel or residence in Johannesburg between 06:00 – 06:30, we travel to the Pilanesberg Nature Park.We should arrive at Pilanesberg Park around 9am, where we will then board and start our 1st open-vehicle safari drive ( +- 3 hours) in search of the animals that inhabit the National Park. We will then have a short stop from 12 pm until 1 pm for lunch at Pilanebserg Center inside the middle of the park overlooking a beautiful waterhole. After lunch we will depart on our 2nd Open Safari Drive (+-2 hours). We depart the park around 15h30, arriving back in Johannesburg between 17h30 to 18h00.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.