In its heyday, Melville was one of Johannesburg’s trendiest suburbs, home to offbeat bars, unique shops, and imaginative restaurants. An economic downturn soured its reputation for some time, but this neighborhood is well on its way towards reclaiming its hip reputation. Here are a few amazing restaurants that are helping Melville return to its bohemian roots.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The Leopard strikes an ideal balance between sophistication and playfulness. The menu is a blend of Asian and bistro-style cuisine. Dishes change frequently based on the seasons as well as the ever-evolving inspirations of Chef Andrea Burgener. Although the combination sounds odd, one of the restaurant’s most popular dishes is the unexpectedly delicious spaghetti with marmite. The restaurant’s predominantly white interior features a pressed-tin ceiling and appealingly mismatched furniture. The walls are decorated with antique maps and eclectic pictures of dogs. A small but well-curated wine list rounds out the menu at this affordable restaurant.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Service Station is one of Melville’s most loved breakfast and lunch spots, known for its fresh, house-made fare. The menu is small and seasonal, highlighting handpicked produce sourced from local suppliers. Its lunch buffet features a light, healthy spread of roasted veggies, a wide variety of salads, and quiches baked on-site. There’s also a wonderful selection of drinks made in-house, including lemonade, fresh juices, and ginger beer. The restaurant’s bright interior features a large workspace in the back, making it an equally perfect spot to grab a quick meal or to linger and take advantage of the free Wi-Fi.
Jo’Anna Melt Bar
As its name suggests, Jo’Anne Melt Bar is all about melts, otherwise known as toasted cheese sandwiches, packed with a variety of creative fillings. Try the mac ‘n’ cheese melt topped with cheddar, mozzarella, and herby tomato sauce. The restaurant offers a solid selection of craft beers, South African wines, and cocktails to enjoy alongside its tasty melts. The laid-back interior features a retro theme, along with exposed brick walls and a huge round wooden bar. The building’s original pressed ceiling has been transformed into a cool wall art feature.
Café De la Crème
Café De la Crème is a long-time local favorite spot for light brunches and afternoon coffee breaks. One side of the restaurant is a bakery, serving a beautiful selection of croissants, cookies, cakes, and other baked goods, while the other side is a charming tea room-style dining area. The interior is classically elegant, decorated with chandeliers, antique furniture, and lovely wooden windows. The menu is a mix of breakfast classics, soups, toasted sandwiches, and salads, as well as light meals such as wraps and burgers. Save room for a slice of lemon polenta cake, or take home a jam biscuit to snack on later.
The Lucky Bean takes its name from a type of tree used in traditional medicines and rituals, called the Lucky Bean tree. Murals of this tree run around the walls of this low-key restaurant. The restaurant brings a contemporary approach to traditional South African cuisine, with an emphasis on seasonal produce. Go for the ostrich burger, which includes bobotie rice stuffing, mushroom and bacon sauce, as well as a choice of hand-cut chips or salad. The restaurant also includes a lounge and bar area, with live music featured on weekends.
Open 24 hours a day seven days a week, Catz Pyjamas is one of the oldest restaurants in Johannesburg. The restaurant often features live bands and themed shows. There’s a large deck for dining outdoors, as well as big-screen TVs inside. The massive menu includes everything from omelettes and wraps, to stir-fries and pizza. There are breakfast options for early risers, as well as cocktails for the after-work crowd. With free Wi-Fi, it’s a great place to find a quiet corner to catch up on work during the day. Later, it’s the perfect spot for late-night eats.
Hell’s Kitchen features great music as well as a hip interior inspired by 1920’s speakeasy. Its black ceiling and walls are decorated with rock music memorabilia and neon signs, while the floor tiles are a bold checkered pattern. Live music is featured on weekends. The menu is creative American-style fare, including burgers, tacos, wings, and wraps. The restaurant also offers a superb selection of craft beers, wines, and cocktails, in addition to their signature ‘Hellfire’ cinnamon whiskey, which is brewed on-site.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.