The seaside village of Umhlanga just north of Durban is still one of South Africa’s favourite playgrounds, retaining a sense of old-world charm among sophisticated new delights. Here, Culture Trip reveals the top things to do in this stunning bit of coastline.
Stroll the promenade
There’s no better way to start the day than watching the sun pop up from the Indian Ocean from the revamped 3km (1.9mi) O’Connor Promenade. This winds between the lush gardens of beachfront hotels and apartments, and the golden sands and sea, past the striking red and white lighthouse and ‘whale-bone’ pier, to Umhlanga Lagoon Nature Reserve. Take the path and boardwalks through the coastal forest to the lagoon, a great place to picnic.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Get up close with dolphins and whales
Magnificent southern right whales migrate along the KwaZulu-Natal coast between May and September, and humpbacks arrive around the same time but stay until late November, and are often seen from the beach, along with pods of dolphins. Boats operate daily from Granny’s Pool on Umhlanga Main Beach, but there are only two operators with permits for dolphin and whale-watching, and they launch from Durban Harbour. Whale and Dolphin Tours trains guides from disadvantaged communities and supports WILDOCEANS’ Whale Time project research.
Visit the Sharks Board
The KwaZulu-Natal Sharks Board is dedicated to protecting bathers from these fascinating apex predators, while minimising the effect on the sharks and marine environment, and conducting important biological research. The Shark Museum has life-like replicas, including an 890kg (1,962lb) Great White, and there are informative and entertaining 25-minute audiovisual displays of the Sharks Board’s work, followed by a 20-minute shark dissection, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9am and 2pm, and the first Sunday of the month at 2pm. Book to go out in one of their boats that service the shark safety gear at 6.30am, Mondays to Fridays.
Indulge at the Oyster Box
This iconic Umhlanga family hotel was built in 1947 on the site of the original Oyster Lodge beach cottage dating back to 1869, and lovingly restored in 2010. Step back in time with a lavish high tea under the chandeliers of the Palm Court each afternoon. Or take in the view from the Ocean Terrace Restaurant, while tucking into its celebrated curry lunch buffet, with a selection of at least 11 curries daily and all the trimmings. Start or end with cocktails at the celebrated Lighthouse Bar. On the first and last Friday of the month, you can book for ‘Dinner and a Movie’: a two-course dinner on the Ocean Terrace, then a movie in the Oyster Box’s plush 24-seater cinema with a state-of-the-art flat screen and Dolby surround sound, a complimentary glass of wine, popcorn and your pick of sweets from a trolley. To check what’s showing, contact the hotel.
Explore the Village
Chartwell Drive and its surrounds are a hive of colourful eateries and bars. Stop at Salsa Mexican Grill for the best burritos (think chicken with brown rice, caramelised onion and butternut) and a craft tequila; Little Havana for sensational steaks; Mythos for Greek delights; the Zululand Brewing Company for Zulu sushi and a glass of Zululand Pale Ale or Zulu Blonde; and Marco’s Italian for Mamma Luciana’s fresh tortellini. But don’t leave Umhlanga without visiting The Chef’s Table alongside the refurbished Protea Marriott Umhlanga; chef Kayla-Ann Osborn has notched up numerous awards for her imaginative cuisine. Think pink prawns with black beans, red pepper, charred corn, chorizo, lavash and lemon aioli, followed by their PS I Love You – salted caramel, biscuit tuile, Valrhona Dulcey Grand Cru blond chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Shop at The Pearls
The Pearls Mall, below the gleaming glass towers of The Pearls apartments developed by local movie mogul Anant Singh (producer of Sarafina! and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), is home to coffee shops, ice cream parlours, restaurants, designer fashion boutiques and decor and art outlets – a good place to browse when the sun gets too hot, or on the few days it doesn’t shine.
Play at Gateway
Besides shopping, the Gateway Theatre of Shopping on Umhlanga Ridge offers a slew of adventure activities. At the new be.UP Park, you can tackle an array of climbing walls; bounce on interconnected horizontal and inclined trampolines to experience the freedom of jumping, turning, twisting and flipping; or engage in aerial play five metres (16ft) above the ground, climbing through barrels, walking on planks, even riding a skateboard attached to a wire! Gateway also has action karting on the roof, and at Snow Wonderland, you can experience snow all year round, build snowmen, ride snow slides and test your skills slinging snowballs at a snow target wall.
Get your mind going
Finally, Mindgame Escape in Granada Square, Chartwell Drive, is the perfect way to get family and friends together, or make new ones on holiday, solving mysteries in one of three themed Escape Rooms – Sherlock Holmes’ Baker Street, Bunker 51 (home to secret UFO files!) or The Forgotten Temple, Ancient World of the Mayans. You’re given an hour to gather clues in your chosen fantasy setting, decipher codes and puzzles and solve the mystery. Exhilarating fun!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.