Cape Town’s Long Street has a reputation as the city’s most hedonistic stretch of road – thanks to thr dozens of late-night bars and clubs, and a fascinating food scene to explore. One local gives us the lowdown.
Anyone looking for a great meal in the heart of the action would be remiss to overlook Long Street. Restaurants here may offer respite from the busy streets outside, but whether combined with a late night out or simply a high-quality meal, there’s still a wide variety of options available.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Alasdair McCulloch, a quick-witted editor and director based in the Cape Town CBD, whose office is a short walk from Long Street, knows more than most about which restaurants to head to in the area.
He’s edited projects for some of the world’s largest health and wellness companies, but also directed campaigns for big alcohol brands that wouldn’t be out of place on Cape Town’s party street, including those set in the very heart of it. When he’s not calling the shots from behind the camera, this is where you may find him dining.
Mama Africa is a Cape Town, and Long Street, institution. It offers an African dining and entertainment experience in a laid-back setting, showcasing the best cuisine and hospitality of the continent. The staff are friendly and attentive, and there’s a live marimba band most evenings. The menu is meat-heavy, a carnivore’s delight, with a wide selection of meat as well as seafood dishes. However, there’s a choice of vegetarian dishes on offer as well. Although most Cape Town residents dismiss it as tourist-centric, it’s a destination for anyone looking for a casual, entertaining foray into local cuisine.
Burger fans will know there’s one destination in Cape Town, and that’s Royale Eatery – or “Royale” – and perhaps its equally famous upstairs bar, the Waiting Room, where Alasdair recently shot a commercial. Royale started the gourmet burger revolution in the city, and its menu has grown year on year. “There are something like 50 burgers on the menu here and some great milkshakes to end off the meal,” he says. It’s also a good spot for vegetarians looking to dine out with meat-eating mates, with several meat-free and vegan options on the menu.
At the far end of Long Street is one of the city’s most under-rated restaurants, Fork Tapas. From the bustling street outside, it’s easy to miss, but the welcoming interior – bare-brick walls, dark-wood furniture and a large glass window that looks out on to the street – sets the tone for a high-quality meal. Small plates and sharing are the focus here, and attentive service means the food and drinks keep flowing. Patrons often start with only a few dishes and then expand their orders as they realise the intricacy of flavours in each dish. It’s a dining experience like few others in Cape Town, and those in the know return here time after time to sample new menu arrivals and celebrate old favourites.
When it comes to casual, bistro-style eating with plenty of healthy options, Lola’s is still the queen of Long Street. It’s located in a refurbished Victorian building on the corner of Long Street and Buiten Street, and Alasdair favours it for its diverse menu, especially on the vegetarian front. The bistro fare here is fresh and full of South African flavours – whether visiting for breakfast, lunch or a quick afternoon freshly squeezed juice.
“Orchard juice and health bar is another great, healthy option worth a visit,” says Alasdair. The menu focuses on cold-pressed juices of all types and combinations – from beetroot, cucumber, apple, lemon and mint to raw almonds, dates and coconut oil. If you’re feeling peckish, there are also snacks on the menu, including kale chips, home-made health bars and dried fruit to keep you satisfied until dinnertime. It’s a small spot for those looking to snack or drink on the go, but it does have some seating for those who want to linger a little longer.
South China Dim Sum Bar is another hole-in-the-wall hidden gem. The dim sum is excellent, and over the years, it’s harboured a growing legion of loyal fans, so it’s not uncommon for tables to be booked days in advance. Thanks to its intimate table layout and bustling atmosphere, it’s the perfect date spot, but Alasdair is also a fan for small post-work gatherings. “The menu is diverse enough to have a few different options, and it’s a great restaurant if you’re open to the idea of sharing dishes and experiencing lots of different flavours in one meal,” he says.
Great Ethiopian dining options abound in the Cape Town CBD, but Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant is one of those that Alasdair rates the highest. It’s easy to miss, located at the very top of Long Street, but it’s one well worth seeking out for its classic Ethiopian flavours. “Lucy offers all of the expected Ethiopian dishes – injera [a spongy bread], kibe [clarified butter with spices] and berbere [a spice],” he says. “And it’s another great option for a more social style of eating.” Other popular Ethiopian restaurants in the area include Addis in Cape, Madam Taitou and Little Ethiopia – all of which are worth a visit for this popular cuisine.
This is an updated version of an article originally created by Lee-Shay Collison
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.