South African wine has made waves around the world for decades, but the country’s rich array of spirits has yet to make it into the public eye. Fortunately, the Western Cape region has a wealth of distillates to please any palate – most of which incorporate distinct botanicals that can only be found locally.
When it comes to the art of distillation, South Africa is uniquely equipped to produce spirits that offer bold and innovative flavours unlike any the world has seen before. The secret lies largely in the rich level of biodiversity available throughout the country. From the hearty scrubland of Fynbos to the Kalahari Desert, a vast array of native plants can be used as new and intriguing botanicals, offering distinct flavour profiles. Given the long list of species to experiment with, it’s no wonder that Cape Town is experiencing such an incredible increase in distilleries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With a name like Deep South, one may expect to find this distillery in the thick of the Louisiana Bayou. In reality, this innovative operation is the southernmost distillery on the Cape Peninsula, crafting a variety of small-batch spirits. While the company produces a fiery chili vodka, their flagship product is a classic juniper-forward gin. In the words of brand ambassador Leon Bussio, “Our Cape Dry Gin won the London Spirits Competition Overall Gin of 2019 – it’s a prestigious award, and many people are quite surprised that a boutique distillery at the end of the Cape Peninsula can produce such exceptional quality!” Tours and tastings must be booked in advance by phone or online and are on offer from Wednesday to Saturday.
Located near the colorful Bo-Kaap district, Cape Town Gin & Spirits Company has been producing high-quality gin since 2015. The operation offers three award-winning gins, each one containing native South African plant species as botanicals. Two of the products are vibrantly colored – the company’s Red Gin is flavoured largely with rooibos, a bush native to the northern Cederberg district of Western Cape, while the Pink Lady features indigenous rose geranium and dried hibiscus to impart it with a soft pink tone. For those searching for a quintessential gin with a South African twist, the Classic Dry incorporates historic botanicals found in London Dry Gin, then finishes it off with dried rhino bush to add local flair.
Though KWV isn’t quite in Cape Town – it’s located in the nearby winelands city of Paarl – its unique spirits and long-standing legacy make it a formidable force in the Western Cape gin industry. Founded in 1918, the company established itself as a leading producer of wine and brandy within a matter of decades, and now offers a wealth of distilled spirits in its portfolio. One particular product, Cruxland Gin, incorporates a unique infusion: Kalahari truffle, a rare fungus that grows solely in Southern Africa’s Kalahari Desert. These flavourful pods are incredibly difficult to come across – skilled indigenous hunters must watch the skies patiently for clouds, as the truffles only grow after a bout of heavy rain. Tours and tastings can be booked online.
Just east of downtown Cape Town, this family-operated distillery hopes to create a craft rum boom in South Africa, echoing the country’s thriving gin and beer industries. The company operates with utmost authenticity in mind – all base spirits are distilled on-site rather than sourced from a mass producer, and adding extra sugar or artificial ingredients to the final product is strictly forbidden. The Great White Rum, one of their popular unaged expressions, incorporates South African blackstrap molasses, while their Fyn Botanical Rum adds distinct native plant species, such as honeybush and Naartjie (a type of mandarin) to add a bold citrus element. Tours and tastings available can be booked online.
An early mover in Cape Town’s gin industry, Hope Distillery made history in 2014 as the city’s first licensed small batch distillery. While South Africa is best known for its recent craft gin boom, spirit maker Lucy Beard runs a truly versatile operation, with multiple varieties of gin being produced alongside vodka and a tequila-style agave spirit. Each product is designed to capture the unique spirit of South Africa – the distillery’s London Dry Gin contains lemon pelargonium, a native species that infuses citrus notes, while the African Botanical Gin incorporates botanicals found specifically in the Fynbos, a coastal belt of South Africa containing a wealth of endemic shrubs and flowers. Tours and tastings can be booked online.
One of Cape Town’s foremost micro-distilleries, New Harbour is a consistent innovator in the field of South African distillation. Located in Somerset West on the outskirts of Cape Town, the carbon-neutral operation crafts quality spirits with a heavy focus on incorporating local ingredients, as well as experimenting with methods such as vacuum distillation and maceration. The company produces several gins featuring native South African botanicals. Its London Dry style is flavoured largely with the citrusy marula fruit, a favourite snack for elephants, while the Spekboom Gin features the leaves of the iGwanitsha tree as a prominent botanical.
After noticing South Africa’s propensity for growing sugar cane, musician James Copeland began to wonder why the country’s rum industry had yet to take off. Taking matters into his own hands, he poured himself into finding the proper components to craft his own small batch spirit: thus, Copeland Distillery was born. While white rum is the company’s flagship product, promising no artificial additives or added sugar, the distillery has begun to expand into other ventures, ranging from a London Dry style gin infused with tiki botanicals to its very own pisco, a grape brandy that’s typically found in Peru and Chile.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.