Under the zenith of the iconic Table Mountain, Cape Town is both South Africa’s cosmopolitan centre and a heartland of national history. Colloquially known as the Mother City, Cape Town offers sunshine, good wine and unadulterated luxury alongside a healthy dose of culture from the quasi-European legislative capital. If you want to see the city in style, read on for our pick of the top luxury hotels in Cape Town – all bookable with Culture Trip.
In the heart of the coveted Victoria and Alfred Waterfront district, One&Only Cape Town is a spot where you can kick back with a signature cocktail and views of Table Mountain. It’s minutes from cultural must-sees including boat rides to Robben Island and the Springbok Experience Rugby Museum. The calibre of the on-site restaurants, including South Africa’s only Peruvian-Japanese outpost of Nobu, and an expansive spa, may make it difficult to tear yourself away.
Opened in May 1997 by former South African president, Nelson Mandela, this five-star hotel in Cape Town has an air of pomp and circumstance. Whether you’re relaxing in the heated mineral pool or sipping a champagne at the bar, a complimentary breakfast will set you up for the day. It’s in the heart of the action on the V&A pier.
Two solar heated infinity pools, alongside complimentary sunset drinks and assorted homemade canapés make this boutique luxury Cape Town hotel stand out from its peers. Located in bougie Camps Bay, it’s a stone’s throw from sweeping, white sandy beaches, a five-minute journey to the cable cars to scale Table Mountain and ten minutes from a jaunt into the thronging city centre.
With a grand total of four different dining options, this hotel is one for foodies. Guests can expect fine dining at Towers Restaurant, pastries from The Greatroom and Deli, and light bites from the Orah Bar & Lounge, as well as 24-hour room service. Positioned away from the throng of the city centre, the rooftop pool and bar offers striking views across the city.
Originally home to the South African Reserve Bank, this luxury hotel in Cape Town offers a look into the past. In the old town, in reach of both the boutique shopping hub the Biscuit Mill and the rainbow-hued houses of the Bo-Kaap (upper Cape) area. You can choose between rooms with a mountain view and ones looking over the city.
Staying in this hallowed hotel puts guests among the likes of Nelson Mandela, John Lennon, a former Prince of Wales and Winston Churchill. Deemed a “most excellent establishment” by the last in this list, this pale pink-hued gem offers expansive gardens and an indulgent spa run by skin specialists Africology, as well as painting masterclasses for creatives.
The Dock House Boutique Hotel does what it says on the tin, and is the place to turn to if you’re looking for opulence. Chandeliers and ornate ceiling cornices, as well as a choice art collection, give it a feeling of the upper cut. This building was originally the Harbour Master’s private residence in the 1800s, and has retained its Victorian charm into the 21st century.
This collection of clean cut, modern Camps Bay suites takes its name and inspiration from Château de Marly, which was built in the 17th century for the leisure activities of Louis XIV and his family. Deluxe suites include jacuzzis with ocean views, a Nespresso coffee machine and minibar, while others look out to the city’s dreamy mountainscapes.
Further down the coast from the main city, Constantina – Cape Town’s wine producing suburb – plays host to this luxury Cape Town hotel. The boutique hotel offers three classical heritage manor houses, on 11.5 acres (4.7ha) of land. The Incognito bar serves up cool cocktails and hosts live jazz performances from some of the country’s revered musicians each Thursday evening.
Having started life as a farm in the 17th century, you’re never far from fresh produce or a fine wine in this five-star hotel in Cape Town. Whether you’re looking for an individual room or to rent an entire property, the Cellars-Hohenort has you covered, with a free bottle of wine and fruit platter on arrival, if you opt for the self-contained Madiba Villa.
For even more accommodation options in Cape Town, check out the best hotels in Cape Town, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.