Enjoy the best of what Johannesburg has to offer with a stay in swish Sandton.
Around the turn of the 20th century, the world’s richest field of gold was found in what is now Johannesburg‘s most sophisticated and well-to-do district. Fast-forward to today and sure enough, Sandton is the financial core of the city, all high-rises packed with shoppers and business types – and it’s home to the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. It’s not short on swish check-ins, so we’ve whittled down the best places to stay in Sandton.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Right round the corner from the Stock Exchange, you couldn’t be sitting prettier than at this imposing cream-coloured property. All the luxury hotel requirements are present and correct: smart rooms, with views of the landscaped gardens and the night skyline; a pool to keep cool in; and a flood-lit tennis court. Sightseeing is a cinch: take the free shuttle to Nelson Mandela Square, Sandton City Mall and Sandton Gautrain Station. Freshen up in your marble bathroom before heading out to enjoy divine African or Med dishes at Tradewinds Restaurant.
There are 326 rooms and suites to choose from at this property, all in relaxing shades of champagne and with views over the leafy burbs. The poshest are the Presidential Suites with Bang & Olufsen and Bose tech, Bulgari in the bathroom and terraces featuring hot tubs with skyline views. Sustainable, seasonal menus are brought to life in an open kitchen for you to tuck in, before you head up to the rooftop bar – with its illuminated sofas, DJs and cosy fire pits – for cocktails and some South African-style sliders if you’re still hungry.
Art lovers, you will adore the private collection in this hotel’s lobby. Rooms are attractively decorated, with smart forest-feature wallpaper and muted tones. Leave time in your itinerary (and space in your stomach) to try the sticky chicken wings and tenderly braised oxtail in the Manhattan-worthy bistro, and if the weather permits, sit on the terrace for views of the city. Swim a few laps in the infinity pool, edged with striped loungers and parasols, before exploring the rejuvenating powers of the spa, complete with his and hers steam rooms. Don’t leave town without seeing the nearby Nelson Mandela sculpture in the European-style square of the same name.
Luxury is the name of the game at this business district apartment and hotel combo, a 10-minute walk from Sandton station. It will pamper you with the works: convenience store, indoor golf practice range, heated outdoor pool with sun deck, spa and gym classes. Not that adults have the monopoly: bring the little ones, and they’ll love the kids’ club and playground. We love the blue details in the light-filled rooms, which range from comfortable standards to generous apartments with skyline-view balconies. Our top tip? Don’t step out without hot coffee and pastries from the deli.
Convenience alert: Tladi is an easy 30 minutes from the airport, but also a world away with its fertile gardens and a large freeform pool. The appeal is in the low-rise look of this traditional thatched roof lodge, decorated inside with African artwork. The rooms are comfortable, with dark wood accents and indulgent freestanding tubs — and you can easily access the pool. Don’t miss the complimentary sherry: it’s the perfect aperitivo after you’ve hot-air ballooned or played golf, and before you dine al fresco, in front of the fire, on grilled meat from the braai.
Right in the heart of the Financial District, minutes from the station, the four-star Maslow was made for business travellers. Expect unfussy rooms that are easy on the eye, with pink, blue and mauve floral art and matching fabrics. When you’ve finished work for the day, try an aromatherapy massage in the holistic Africology Spa, or hit the pool area, a lounger-lined space shaded by palms and umbrellas. If those laps have got your stomach grumbling, go for the tasty tapas at the Laguna bar.
The honey-toned grande dame of Sandton stands just off Nelson Mandela Square – some rooms allow a glimpse of the great man himself, cast in bronze. The atrium, rising seven storeys, is like Tuscany on steroids, with its arcades, koi pond and artwork. A swim in the pool under the great glass dome is a must. Glass elevators whizz you up to the rooms, which are plush, rather than razor-sharp trendy. The breakfast is legendary, with perfect crepes and local dishes such as fried egg with spicy relish.
The Leonardo is part of a towering 55-storey (mixed-use) structure that wows shoppers and art aficionados: there’s a ground-floor retail section and South African textile and sculptural art under the same roof. Tucked up in the tallest building in South Africa, these slick apartments naturally have swooning skyline views. Stop your head spinning with a relaxing massage in the spa and wellness centre, then get dizzy again at the rooftop cocktail bar. The showstopper restaurant Aurum excels at farm-to-fork dishes like sous-vide chicken with miso, sweet potato and grilled corn.
If you want to see more beyond Sandton, check out some of the best hotels in Johannesburg, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.